Rebuilding a marineland 150 tall.

Saltyhigginslakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150g tall, that the bottom brace broke and it needs to be broke down and reseal. It was a freshwater tank and I feel it is to deep for a mix reef.
So I was thinking if I'm taking it fully apart to reseal maybe, cut the glass down to a 120 gallon height of 24" from 31" it is now. My question is what is the best way to cut 1/2" glass? I have contacted marineland and they say the only tempered glass is the bottom. Thanks everyone.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take to to a glass & mirror shop. They cat cut it and polish the edges.

And you'll need to really, seriously clean the old silicone off the glass. New silicone does not stick well to old silicone.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made about 10 tanks over the last 10 years. From a small frag tank of 15g to a DT of 90g. About 5 for me and 5 for other people. I found a 'glass & mirror' shop that does nice work for me and at a reasonable price.

How prepared are you for the reassembly?

I used 4 corner clamps and either 2 or 4 big clamps.
2017-08-11 08.41.09.jpg

OP
OP
Saltyhigginslakeguy

Saltyhigginslakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made about 10 tanks over the last 10 years. From a small frag tank of 15g to a DT of 90g. About 5 for me and 5 for other people. I found a 'glass & mirror' shop that does nice work for me and at a reasonable price.

2017-08-11 08.41.09.jpg
I do have to get some corner clamps. I live in northern michigan so I am waiting for it to warm up so I can pull it out of the shed and start braking it down. My main hiccup is finding a 48"×24" brace set for it. The bottom brace is cracked. I have looked and called everywhere.

OP
OP
Saltyhigginslakeguy

Saltyhigginslakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2017-08-11 08.41.09.jpg
What is your process on cleaning the glass of all silicone?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to say, but all my tanks have been made with new glass.

If I had to clean used glass I would scrape the old silicone off with a very sharp clean blade that I could apply strong pressure against the glass, something like a wallpaper scraper that has a handle that I can use with both hands. And I'd scrape until I didn't get any material. And maybe change the blade regularly.

Then I'd shop the internet for some chemical to soak the siliconed area in. Maybe a mild muriatic acid solution? (not a suggestion, just an example) I'd put the solution is a shallow tray and set the glass in it upright, so only the area of glass that had silicone would be in the solution. I'd let it soak and then clean it with alcohol.

Rifken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me ask you, what do you plan on doing about the bottom brace?

I have a tall Marineland tank that I bought used and it turns out it has an issue in one of the the corners. Mine just has parameter trim around the bottom, there are no braces. It is different than the top. The trim appears to be 4 separate pieces (front, back, two sides) that are glued together at the mitered corners. One of my corners has separated and I need to put it back together. It halfway came unglued and halfway cracked. I discovered this during the leak test and there is no leak but I need to fix this. When you talked to Marineland did you talk about the trim and what glue to use? Could you pass on the number for them?

Aquarium Corner.jpg

Thanks,
Bob

OP
OP
Saltyhigginslakeguy

Saltyhigginslakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to say, but all my tanks have been made with new glass.

If I had to clean used glass I would scrape the old silicone off with a very sharp clean blade that I could apply strong pressure against the glass, something like a wallpaper scraper that has a handle that I can use with both hands. And I'd scrape until I didn't get any material. And maybe change the blade regularly.

Then I'd shop the internet for some chemical to soak the siliconed area in. Maybe a mild muriatic acid solution? (not a suggestion, just an example) I'd put the solution is a shallow tray and set the glass in it upright, so only the area of glass that had silicone would be in the solution. I'd let it soak and then clean it

OP
OP
Saltyhigginslakeguy

Saltyhigginslakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm going to do scrape, I will start out with bar keeper friend and work my way stronger up if need to. Thanks a ton

Rifken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading and watching a lot of videos. Seems scrapping Bar Keepers Friend and acetone are all used to get the silicone off.

Did you find a place to cut your glass?

-Bob

OP
OP
Saltyhigginslakeguy

Saltyhigginslakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me ask you, what do you plan on doing about the bottom brace?

I have a tall Marineland tank that I bought used and it turns out it has an issue in one of the the corners. Mine just has parameter trim around the bottom, there are no braces. It is different than the top. The trim appears to be 4 separate pieces (front, back, two sides) that are glued together at the mitered corners. One of my corners has separated and I need to put it back together. It halfway came unglued and halfway cracked. I discovered this during the leak test and there is no leak but I need to fix this. When you talked to Marineland did you talk about the trim and what glue to use? Could you pass on the number for them?

Aquarium Corner.jpg

Thanks,
Bob
I talked to marineland and no help. Told me to call a pet shop that sales marineland and maybe going thru them, Idk. But emailed them. Plan A is to mill down oak to a 90° angle about 1/8" heavy thick, put the frame together. Then glue the frame to 1/4 or 1/2 hardwood plywood. Then rebuild the aquarium and hope it works. I can not find 24" wide pre-made frames anywhere.

OP
OP
Saltyhigginslakeguy

Saltyhigginslakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading and watching a lot of videos. Seems scrapping Bar Keepers Friend and acetone are all used to get the silicone off.

Did you find a place to cut your glass?

-Bob
Bar keeper is good stuff. No, I live in a small town so need to make some calls.

-Jason

Rifken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Plan A is to mill down oak to a 90° angle about 1/8" heavy thick"

I've watched several videos about building plywood tanks. It's basically pine 2x4's and plywood. So say your tank is exactly 24 inches by 72. I wonder if you could build a strong enough "frame" by cutting a piece of say, 1/4" ply 25.5 by 73.5 and attaching 3/4 by 1 1/2" oak around the perimeter by screwing and gluing the oak to the plywood?

-Bob

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol brand new 120 are available , especially if your thinking of trying to remove 6" off a 48x30 piece of 1/2" , lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back