Can I Dose Sodium Bisulfate? (Seachem Acid Buffer)

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has an odd phenomenon of rising alkalinity (you can follow my alkalinity and tank woes here and here). I have used Seachem's Acid Buffer to reduce it, which works like a charm. I add a VERY small amount to the tank every few days as not to change pH too much, and also use it on my mixed fresh saltwater when doing water changes. My question is, can I somehow dose this so that it consistently keeps my alk nice and steady? Somehow add a few tablespoons to some RODI water or something like that and dose a few ml each day through my GHL doser? I can do the math to get the right dosage, but I'm curious if something like that would even work chemistry-wise.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

-Scott

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. I've never used it personally. Let's see what others say.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has an odd phenomenon of rising alkalinity (you can follow my alkalinity and tank woes here and here). I have used Seachem's Acid Buffer to reduce it, which works like a charm. I add a VERY small amount to the tank every few days as not to change pH too much, and also use it on my mixed fresh saltwater when doing water changes. My question is, can I somehow dose this so that it consistently keeps my alk nice and steady? Somehow add a few tablespoons to some RODI water or something like that and dose a few ml each day through my GHL doser? I can do the math to get the right dosage, but I'm curious if something like that would even work chemistry-wise.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

-Scott

i would figure out the rising alkalinity. Dosing a strong acid should not be necessary.

Take the GHL KH Director offline. Monitor and maintain the alkalinity manually for at least month. From your other post, it sounds like the coral are not growing rapidly. Manual alkalinity maintenance should not be too onerous. I predict that you will observe a different trend In alkalinity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0