Can I feed cooked mussels to my tank.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been able to find live mussels so I purchased these frozen ones not realizing they're cooked. Can I feed these to my tank?

CF23F568-3E26-4D41-BD39-B5ECCAEC189D.jpeg

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but I'd "guess" it won't hurt anything but fresh would be better.
Seems like worst case scenario is cooking cooked out some of the desired nutrients and maybe your fish won't like it since they're not used to cooked.

*don't take that as a good answer,,, just speculation

Multiple local super markets have live shellfish counters so I just buy clams/mussels live,,, never tried cooked

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What reef inhabitants are you feeding?
I have mostly herbivores, My Flame Hawk should like them and I also have Tangs, Foxface, Firefish, AE Filefish, LM and Tailspot Blennies, Six Line Wrasse, Clowns. I tried briefly in the past with live mussels and no one showed any interest but I have since added crabs and two cleaner shrimp whom I would like to make sure are getting something to eat.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mostly herbivores, My Flame Hawk should like them and I also have Tangs, Foxface, Firefish, AE Filefish, LM and Tailspot Blennies, Six Line Wrasse, Clowns. I tried briefly in the past with live mussels and no one showed any interest but I have since added crabs and two cleaner shrimp whom I would like to make sure are getting something to eat.
Of the livestock you mentioned, the matches I have are clown, tailspot blenny, skunk cleaner shrimp.
They all love fresh/frozen clams/mussels.

I buy live, shuck, chop, freeze,,, then chop up frozen chunks into almost minced pieces to dump in the tank,,, FWIW

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it should be fine. Just watch out for preservatives that could dump phosphate in the tank (trisodium phosphate for example). Arguably it's better for the fish in terms of energetics

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the livestock you mentioned, the matches I have are clown, tailspot blenny, skunk cleaner shrimp.
They all love fresh/frozen clams/mussels.

I buy live, shuck, chop, freeze,,, then chop up frozen chunks into almost minced pieces to dump in the tank,,, FWIW
Won't they eat a mussel if it's not chopped up?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back