• Mabey

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Shane808262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I want to add a splash of purple to my 55 gallon fish only with what’s becoming live rock tank. I want to add either a basslet or a Dottyback that will add that beautiful purple to my tank. I wanted a Royal gramma but can’t find any in my local area all I can find are normal purple Dottybacks that are $16.00. Should I just get the purple Dottyback or continue the search for a Royal gramma. I know grammas are less aggressive but how much more aggressive are purple Dottybacks. Can a purple Dottyback live in a 55 gallon with 2 clowns, 1 lemon butterfly fish, 1 flame angel and a tiny yellow tang that im growing out for my friends 125.

Purplelobst92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I want to add a splash of purple to my 55 gallon fish only with what’s becoming live rock tank. I want to add either a basslet or a Dottyback that will add that beautiful purple to my tank. I wanted a Royal gramma but can’t find any in my local area all I can find are normal purple Dottybacks that are $16.00. Should I just get the purple Dottyback or continue the search for a Royal gramma. I know grammas are less aggressive but how much more aggressive are purple Dottybacks. Can a purple Dottyback live in a 55 gallon with 2 clowns, 1 lemon butterfly fish, 1 flame angel and a tiny yellow tang that im growing out for my friends 125.
It may become aggressive with other pseudochromis or fish with similar body shapes, they are a beautiful fish though.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do it! Purple dottybacks can be quite problematic with peaceful tankmates. Be patient and wait for the gramma or orchid instead of getting the purple.
+1 ! You will only have to fish it out shortly after... not worth it! The orchid or royal gramma are much, much better choices...

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 13 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 65 47.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back