Can I keep seahorses alive in this?

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs, shrimps, corals, tubeworms and seahorses? Maybe a Fromia and a bit of such also? Tell me, what can I try? Or what is the one perfect fish or a mated pair that's not clown like cirrhilabrus but which? Tank is 20 gallons and has nothing but it's simple siporax filter and current makers. It may need a light more coral oriented in spectrum.

IMG_20200221_095424.jpg

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Horses aren't my thing but everything I've read says no. They need a tank by themselves. If you were to keep both the Flow would be to hard on the horses & they would never get any food because the fish would eat it all. Many other issues I'm sure.
Edit: Sea horses also need something to hold onto with their tales.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of shrimp gobies would be fun with a shrimp. Pair of neon gobies would be fun. Pair of yellow clown gobies are fantastic.
I would stay away from sea horses without a dedicated tank and some more research. I know many have them with pipefish and probably sand dwellers like shrimp gobies, but do tone of research first. They require a lot of special foods and flow, and parameters to be thriving.

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'll go with a fish, maximum of two if it's a couple. Something that will appreciate being groomed by the shrimp without feeling terrorized. Cirrhilabrus family perhaps but what species? I'm going to look at everything. I have at least 6 weeks before putting in a fish. The tank was only meant to heal the corals but my wife likes the critters.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For seahorses, I wouldn’t keep a loaded tank. Ideally I’d keep a refugium and add pods regularly. I wouldn’t. Keep anything else that would rob food. You can keep low lighting in a seahorse tank to combat algae.

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a couple of nano fish then. Or maybe just more invertebrates. Where is the Fromia starfish forum?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%

Back