Can I possibly get an ID on this mushroom.

deathdealerdelta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So this is my first attempt at a sw tank, I've had about a dozen planted fw tanks.

I picked up a cheap frag at my lfs for my work tank during lunch so I could use it as an initial test.

Nothing at the lfs is labeled and the owner just said it was a mushroom.... anyone know what type?

I think it's still closed up from the move but the zoas are opening up. Unless it is open, idk really lol.

Thank you ahead of time for any insight.

20231101_161406.jpg

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a rhodactis mushroom. Could be a St Thomas variety but it's hard to tell from the picture.

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked that up........

So it isn't a coral, its technically an anemone? And it's going to grow anywhere from 4" to 8"?
Technically related to an anemone yes. However they tend to not need as high of light and are easier to care for the anemones. A downside is that they can eventually completely cover any rock they are on. I would advise you keep it isolated on an island of rock on the sand.

OP
OP
D

deathdealerdelta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically related to an anemone yes. However they tend to not need as high of light and are easier to care for the anemones. A downside is that they can eventually completely cover any rock they are on. I would advise you keep it isolated on an island of rock on the sand.
Welp.....

I guess I will strip the zoa off of the frag and move them. How long will it take to get that big? I mainly got the frag for the zoa anyway.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked that up........

So it isn't a coral, its technically an anemone? And it's going to grow anywhere from 4" to 8"?
Mushrooms are in their own order, Corallimorpharia, separate from anemones (Actinaria). According to genetic studies, they comprise a lineage basal to the Scleractinians; in other words, they are closely related to stony corals, not anemones.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better picture would be helpful but from what I’m seeing now is possibly a st Thomas mushroom but could use a better pic to be sure

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back