Can I put Cheato in my sump?

leighton.bingham

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 10, 2022
Messages
310
Reaction score
190
Location
Lewisberry, pa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my sump. I want to run some cheato for nutrient export and pods home. I see everyone that has cheato has it separated off. Why?

*its a bit dirty right now. The big hose on the left is to my UV

tempImageR6gu07.png
 
Cheato grows in reef conditions. Water and Full spectrum lighting. Cheato breaks loose into pieces that can get sucked into a return and sent into your display and then it can grow in there where you don’t want it

Usually a refugium section has some kind of baffle with foam to catch loose pieces before they get into other sections of the sump
 
How does water get in and out of this sump? Are the drain and return lines disconnected at the moment?
 
Cheato grows in reef conditions. Water and Full spectrum lighting. Cheato breaks loose into pieces that can get sucked into a return and sent into your display and then it can grow in there where you don’t want it

Usually a refugium section has some kind of baffle with foam to catch loose pieces before they get into other sections of the sump
That makes sense.
 
With some thought and modification you could probably get sowmthing small that works but, you won’t fit enough cheato to make a big impact on nutrient levels.

If you can settle for pod housing you can get a few pod hotels and toss them in the return section. I do believe pods can survive travel from a return pump back into a display, but with the skimmer they will just end up in the skimmate cup
 
With some thought and modification you could probably get sowmthing small that works but, you won’t fit enough cheato to make a big impact on nutrient levels.

If you can settle for pod housing you can get a few pod hotels and toss them in the return section. I do believe pods can survive travel from a return pump back into a display, but with the skimmer they will just end up in the skimmate cup
better to wait then. Is what you’re saying?
 
There must be witchcraft going on. I see no drain lines into the left filter socks and I see no lines out of the far right and I don’t understand what the far right section is
 
better to wait then. Is what you’re saying?
You can get pod hotels and start building a population and work on your new sump as a side project. Then transfer the pod hotels and your new sump is seeded
 
Ahhhh black pipe/tubing

What are the socks in chamber 3 for
 
Do you know the brand/model of this sump
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new