Can I remove my DI stages?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a well and was running through resin quickly as well. Changed to a 3 stage DI and only the Anion was being depleted quickly. Found out it was CO2 so if it is only your Anion you can probably safely assume it’s CO2, if it’s both then you have other issues.

I ended up just adding a second trash can. Now I run through my RO into the first trash can at around 3 TDS from 600+…I have an air stone in this trash can and let it off gas for a couple days or more depending on needs. Then I pump it through my DI into the final trash can and barely notice any DI resin usage at this point. Honestly wish I hadn’t upgraded to the 3 stage because it’s completely unnecessary for the amount of water I use but I have made around 500 gallons with the new setup and can barely see any resin discoloration so far.
Can we gat a detailed picture or video on this set up, I really need to go this direction, but my system is 100% automated and has complications to do this, an example of yours would be greatly appreciated and helpful to implement into mine.

OP
OP
TheDuude

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any members out there using their well water straight from the RO? I understand everyones source water is different but just wondering if anyone is having success without Di?

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well water is so variable that even if someone was doing that I doubt it would have any bearing on your situation. You could send a test to icp after only your RO and see what it says I suppose.

OP
OP
TheDuude

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP results are back and the only detectable element in my RO only water is Silicon.

- What effects should I be concerned about?
- I have been fighting dinos on and off for years, could this be contributing?

1695394926417.png

Additionally, The display tank test came back with a Si of 204, but I have been using Di up until now.

Last edited:

Orion9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had similar issues using well water and resolved it by adding a degassing station. Its not the cleanest setup but it's automated using solenoids, float switches, and a diagram pump to push the degassed water through DI resin to a mixing station.
IMG-7590.jpg

Mixing station:
IMG-7589.jpg

Apex controlled:
IMG-7592.jpg

I was changing DI resin weekly, after the degassing station its been reduced to about every 2 months.
Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back