Can i run a closed loop in dt without adding a pump in the dt?

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help you with that one. The reason it was recommended to run a second pump for your UV is so you can tailor the flow to the needs of the UV, without disrupting flow back to the tank.

Ive never run a manifold, and I don't feel comfortable giving you advice on something I have no experience with. I'm sure the guys above can help there

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help you with that one. The reason it was recommended to run a second pump for your UV is so you can tailor the flow to the needs of the UV, without disrupting flow back to the tank.

Ive never run a manifold, and I don't feel comfortable giving you advice on something I have no experience with. I'm sure the guys above can help there

Fair enough :) but thank you for the drawing and help! I appreciate it

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single UV will not accomplish both.

A common, and persistent, misconception. If you wish to use a single UV for both clarification and sterilization then you must oversize it, but a single unit can absolutely do both. Though, frankly, water clarity issues are better addressed by the cause not a band aid like UV.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be for algae and it's the aqua uv classic 57w (can't find how much flow for algae ) would you be able to show me how I could run it through a separate pump? Maybe in a sketch because I'm stumped how the water would return to Dt

Attached chart from mfg website lists flow for differing levels of clarification/sterilization ...

Numbers seem high to me though. I run about 10 gallons per UV watt through my unit for level 2 sterilization. If you’re looking for just clarification (algae, bact, blooms) then anything above 1,000 gph should suffice. What main return pump are you using? Just plumb UV into the main return line.

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run a separate pump that circulates water through your sump, and not have to go over the back of the tank. This is assuming that you’re running more water through the return than the uv.
A manifold is basically A tee (Or tees) in your return line with a valve to adjust flow. Hook your uv to that and have it return to your tank or sump.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A common, and persistent, misconception. If you wish to use a single UV for both clarification and sterilization then you must oversize it, but a single unit can absolutely do both. Though, frankly, water clarity issues are better addressed by the cause not a band aid like UV.

All I can say is what I have learned from people smarter than myself.
I have read articals and watched the BRS video series.
Everything I have researched, says differently, and to what I have stated.

Obviously the UV will do something for both algae and parasites even if the flow is wrong. But it will do it so ineffectively that it would be a waste of equipment, time and money.

But I do see your point and understand the theory on oversizing the unit.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached chart from mfg website lists flow for differing levels of clarification/sterilization ...

Numbers seem high to me though. I run about 10 gallons per UV watt through my unit for level 2 sterilization. If you’re looking for just clarification (algae, bact, blooms) then anything above 1,000 gph should suffice. What main return pump are you using? Just plumb UV into the main return line.

Right now I'm running a jebao but I've got an abyzz a200 on standby! Would you have a diagram on how to do that? And I appreciate you finding the flow rate :)

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run a separate pump that circulates water through your sump, and not have to go over the back of the tank. This is assuming that you’re running more water through the return than the uv.
A manifold is basically A tee (Or tees) in your return line with a valve to adjust flow. Hook your uv to that and have it return to your tank or sump.

Let's say I have many outlets on my manifold, do I attach the standalone pump (from skimmer section) to uv and uv to manifold? Or just have one return pump which feeds uv off manifold, that then returns to the return chamber or to a tee'd off return line? I'll draw something up in the mean time

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is what I have learned from people smarter than myself.
I have read articals and watched the BRS video series.
Everything I have researched, says differently, and to what I have stated.

Obviously the UV will do something for both algae and parasites even if the flow is wrong. But it will do it so ineffectively that it would be a waste of equipment, time and money.

But I do see your point and understand the theory on oversizing the unit.

Unfortunately UV sizing is both generally misunderstood .... and not exact science :(. You have to be able to get the right flow rate through the unit, but you also have to be moving a decent percentage of the tank volume though the UV. That’s true whether your goal is clarification or sterilization. It’s really just math. I generally don’t bother with the BRS videos, so cannot say for sure whether they’ve got it wrong or not.

As illustration, let’s say you have a system of 200 gallons. I’d argue that you want to get that volume through the UV 2-4 times per hour, thus somewhere between 400 and 800 gallons per hour. If you are targeting clarification, at say 25 gallons per watt, then you need an UV between 16 and 32 watts. If you wanted to use that same unit for sterilization, at 10 gallons per watt, then you’re down to 160 to 320 total gallons per hour .... probably not enough turnover. So you upsize the UV to get back to to the 2-4 tank volume per hour and you’re talking an UV in the 40 to 80 watt range for effective sterilization. That will also do clarification so two are not necessary. Only works if yiu upsize though.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately UV sizing is both generally misunderstood .... and not exact science :(. You have to be able to get the right flow rate through the unit, but you also have to be moving a decent percentage of the tank volume though the UV. That’s true whether your goal is clarification or sterilization. It’s really just math. I generally don’t bother with the BRS videos, so cannot say for sure whether they’ve got it wrong or not.

As illustration, let’s say you have a system of 200 gallons. I’d argue that you want to get that volume through the UV 2-4 times per hour, thus somewhere between 400 and 800 gallons per hour. If you are targeting clarification, at say 25 gallons per watt, then you need an UV between 16 and 32 watts. If you wanted to use that same unit for sterilization, at 10 gallons per watt, then you’re down to 160 to 320 total gallons per hour .... probably not enough turnover. So you upsize the UV to get back to to the 2-4 tank volume per hour and you’re talking an UV in the 40 to 80 watt range for effective sterilization. That will also do clarification so two are not necessary. Only works if yiu upsize though.

Okay sweet! I've got a 57w unit and will put a flow meter to dial it exactly :) I'm just going to use it for algae but it wouldn't hurt to have both benefits :)

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres my mock up of the manifold dual return. Would this work?

1589752441176967991689.jpg

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have plenty of power in your main pump you could run a manifold on it and hook up the UV in figure A
If you wanted a second pump you could do figure B and run it into your DT and have the benefit of a backup pump for circulation, or run a smaller pump and just circulate it back through your sump

BB6B9BA3-FB12-4114-B374-6C60D9F7CE8E.jpeg

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have plenty of power in your main pump you could run a manifold on it and hook up the UV in figure A
If you wanted a second pump you could do figure B and run it into your DT and have the benefit of a backup pump for circulation, or run a smaller pump and just circulate it back through your sump

BB6B9BA3-FB12-4114-B374-6C60D9F7CE8E.jpeg

sweet thank you very much!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 151 43.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 53 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back