Can I survive without my cannister

GDD66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a well established (3 years) 75 gallon FOWLR. Up until now I've had a Penn-Plax Cascade 1000 canister filter, along with about 75 lbs of Live rock and a wave pump. After my water change, canister maintenance today; my canister is leaking bad and I've tried everything to stop it....no luck, so I've had to remove it from operation. While I'm waiting for a replacement, I'm wondering how long my tank will be ok. Somebody said I don't even need the cannister, as my live rock is plenty? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are mostly right. The canister is going to functuion mostly as mechanical filtration, pulling out particulate organics etc. Make sure you have good surface agitation to keep surface film away, watch N&P levels. Regular water changes will keep that in check and you will be fine.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'd think the rock and wave makers would be enough. I'd probably set up an air stone if you have one just to be safe and get as much surface agitation as possible as well as good flow across the rockwork. Hope you're looking into the sicce whale 500 or fluval fx4. Really good canisters there.

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'd think the rock and wave makers would be enough. I'd probably set up an air stone if you have one just to be safe and get as much surface agitation as possible as well as good flow across the rockwork. Hope you're looking into the sicce whale 500 or fluval fx4. Really good canisters there.
If you didn’t order a fluval as a replacement send it back! You’ll be fine don’t worry.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a well established (3 years) 75 gallon FOWLR. Up until now I've had a Penn-Plax Cascade 1000 canister filter, along with about 75 lbs of Live rock and a wave pump. After my water change, canister maintenance today; my canister is leaking bad and I've tried everything to stop it....no luck, so I've had to remove it from operation. While I'm waiting for a replacement, I'm wondering how long my tank will be ok. Somebody said I don't even need the cannister, as my live rock is plenty? Any thoughts are appreciated.
You do not need a canister filter

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back