I have a question and hope someone can help me out

mikegrim34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to upgrading my tank to the 90 gallon cube can I start cycling my tank with a couple rocks from my established tank and live sand with a wave maker intill I can do my plumbing for my sump?

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to upgrading my tank to the 90 gallon cube can I start cycling my tank with a couple rocks from my established tank and live sand with a wave maker intill I can do my plumbing for my sump?

Short version: Yes.

Longer version: Cycling is based on rocks and sand, not on glass boxes.

If you'll be using your existing rocks in your new tank, you don't need to do any additional cycling. They're already cycled, and they're already robust enough for your existing bioload.

If you're adding new LIVE rock to your upgraded tank, you will want to let it cycle for a bit to deal with any die-off from shipping. This is not a full cycle - you're just wanting to make sure that any dead stuff is knocked off, decays and processes when you don't have your existing livestock with it.

If you're adding new DRY rock to your upgraded tank, you don't need to do any cycling - just rinse the dry rock well.

If you are NOT planning on using your existing rocks in your new tank, then you will need to do a full cycle on whatever rocks you will be using. You're fine to seed these rocks with something from your existing tank.

In any case - while I personally would want to plumb and leak-check the full system before putting anything into the new tank, you don't have to wait for the sump to be installed to begin cycling, if any cycling is needed.

OP
OP
mikegrim34

mikegrim34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you'll be using your existing rocks in your new tank, you don't need to do any additional cycling. They're already cycled, and they're already robust enough for your existing bioload.

If you're adding new LIVE rock to your upgraded tank, you will want to let it cycle for a bit to deal with any die-off from shipping. This is not a full cycle - you're just wanting to make sure that any dead stuff is knocked off, decays and processes when you don't have your existing livestock with it.

If you're adding new DRY rock to your upgraded tank, you don't need to do any cycling - just rinse the dry rock well.

If you are NOT planning on using your existing rocks in your new tank, then you will need to do a full cycle on whatever rocks you will be using. You're fine to seed these rocks with something from your existing tank.

In any case - while I personally would want to plumb and leak-check the full system before putting anything into the new tank, you don't have to wait for the sump to be installed to begin cycling, if any cycling is needed.

yeah I’m going to use all my rock from my established tank in there but only going to put a couple in the new tank also using new live sand in the tank just to get the cycle going cause I can’t break down my 60 gallon yet

OP
OP
mikegrim34

mikegrim34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only going to do about 60 gallons of water

30 less than the tank just to get the cycle going so I can get it through little cycle and start doing my plumbing

OP
OP
mikegrim34

mikegrim34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like the one thing that sucks out of all of this is where my 60 gallon is that’s where I want my new tank but I have heard I can’t take everything out of my 60 to move it and put my new 90 there and just transfer everything over with new sand

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back