Can I treat Ich in my Display using Copper?

Can I dose cupermine in my display tank?

• Yes

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters

Shane808262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my copper band butterfly fish introduced ich into my 55 gallon fish only with live rock and sand display so can I just dose cupermine in the tank I have no inverts. I have did the quarantine your fish in separately and wait it out before it I don’t want to do that because I did it last time and I lost 1 bicolor angel 1 flame angel 2 yellow tangs 3 butterflys 1 Royal gramma 1 orchid Dottyback it was horrible. My display caught ich that time and I didn’t have a big enough quarantine so it was to much for me to handle. This time I just want to treat my 3 fish in the 55 gallon I know the sand and rock will absorb some of the copper but it would be easier to maintain and treat. This way all the ich is 100% killed off and it doesn’t come back. I understand the whole life cycle I just wanted to do something different. Dose it sound insane or doable to you?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Once done- you can pretty much rule out stocking of coral. best is a quarantine tank. Petco is running a $1/gallon tank sale so a 29L would be $20 to start out a QT tank.

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A totally alternative idea would to be add a good UV sterilizer, a cleaner wrasse, cleaner shrimp, and make sure u feeding a high quality mixed frozen food such as Rod's food. And also minimize stress level of fish by doing the least amount of messing with / changing of tank as u can.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, it will severely limit what you can do with that tank, rock, and sand in the future. Don't forget... snails are inverts as well and that may really hurt for algae control.

Also, copper treatments require very close monitoring to ensure the copper levels never drop below the therapeutic level limit. The absorption by the rocks and sand will make that difficult to monitor and maintain.

OP
OP
Shane808262

Shane808262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m taking your guys advice into account but even if I don’t add the copper into my tank I can’t have coral any way it’s illegal in Hawaii to keep corals in a aquarium. As far as inverts turbo snail are like a needle in a hay stack to find here and cost like $30 a piece for a normal turbo snail and they don’t sell any other snails in Hawaii. Cleaner shrimps are also really hard to find and also expensive so I really don’t think I am going to be adding any inverts. I could catch coral banded shrimps at sunset at the beach like I have before but not if I treat the tank. I honestly don’t know if I could keep ich under control in my tank it would likely take over and kill my fish if I don’t treat. I maintained a aquarium with cupermine in it before that had live rock and sand but it was a 29 gallon but this time it’s a 55 wich will be a bit more challenging but I already have the materials I need so I might just wing it. Idk if I do I am willing to keep carbon in my filters after treatment for the coming months to pull out the copper that the rocks absorbed. It’s my fault for not quarantining but I chickened out because the fish I purchased were finicky as I said I purchased a 2 in copper band a 11/2 inch Bicolor angel. The third fish is a banggai cardinal that I had for forever. They had just arrived at the store from the Philippines but I guess they contracted it through shipping. I did get a good deal though it was like $31.50 for the copper band since it was Black Friday and $21 for the bicolor.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered picking up a cheap, large rubbermaid tote from a store and using it as a quarantine tank? Then just keep the fish in there after treatment while you let your main tank go fallow fir 76 days. That will then ensure your tank is ich/velvet free and your fish will be ich free when you put them back in!

You could probably get a HOB filter for the tote and use a powerhead and heater!

Even throw in some dry rock just to give thes fish some places to get away from each other.

Just a thought...

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m taking your guys advice into account but even if I don’t add the copper into my tank I can’t have coral any way it’s illegal in Hawaii to keep corals in a aquarium. As far as inverts turbo snail are like a needle in a hay stack to find here and cost like $30 a piece for a normal turbo snail and they don’t sell any other snails in Hawaii. Cleaner shrimps are also really hard to find and also expensive so I really don’t think I am going to be adding any inverts. I could catch coral banded shrimps at sunset at the beach like I have before but not if I treat the tank. I honestly don’t know if I could keep ich under control in my tank it would likely take over and kill my fish if I don’t treat. I maintained a aquarium with cupermine in it before that had live rock and sand but it was a 29 gallon but this time it’s a 55 wich will be a bit more challenging but I already have the materials I need so I might just wing it. Idk if I do I am willing to keep carbon in my filters after treatment for the coming months to pull out the copper that the rocks absorbed. It’s my fault for not quarantining but I chickened out because the fish I purchased were finicky as I said I purchased a 2 in copper band a 11/2 inch Bicolor angel. The third fish is a banggai cardinal that I had for forever. They had just arrived at the store from the Philippines but I guess they contracted it through shipping. I did get a good deal though it was like $31.50 for the copper band since it was Black Friday and $21 for the bicolor.

I know u r going to get other opinions but the copperband is amazing but so sensitive of a fish to get established that id be more worried of the copper treatment killing it, or causing it not to eat therfore killing it, that i would take my chances with the ick. Again, this is just what i would do, add coral banded shrimp, let the fish / tank settle and feed good frozen or even fresh / live food, and add a UV sterilizer if u can. Also a blue streak cleaner wrasse i feel would be helpful if u can get it? And its a cool fish anyways so a win win.

OP
OP
Shane808262

Shane808262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know u r going to get other opinions but the copperband is amazing but so sensitive of a fish to get established that id be more worried of the copper treatment killing it, or causing it not to eat therfore killing it, that i would take my chances with the ick. Again, this is just what i would do, add coral banded shrimp, let the fish / tank settle and feed good frozen or even fresh / live food, and add a UV sterilizer if u can. Also a blue streak cleaner wrasse i feel would be helpful if u can get it? And its a cool fish anyways so a win win.
My copper band was eating live brine on the 1st day just got him on frozen blood worms. He hasn’t been picky at all in fact my bicolor angel was harder to get eating. It’s probably because I got the healthiest copper band in the store which arrived straight from the Philippines that day it didn’t even get a chance to acclimate at the store yet. I have a lot of different frozen foods I went a little crazy on Black Friday. I was worried about the copper affected the butterfly. I guess only time will tell.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got to remember here that polyplab does not eradicate ich. It’s more of an antibiotic to help fish shake the parasite. I wouldn’t rely on polyplab to eliminate the parasite. Feed quality food to fish to keep there immune system at full strength.

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand why people think you can’t add corals once you use copper. It does take time, but you can remove all copper from your tank over time. I have done it many times.

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to remember here that polyplab does not eradicate ich. It’s more of an antibiotic to help fish shake the parasite. I wouldn’t rely on polyplab to eliminate the parasite. Feed quality food to fish to keep there immune system at full strength.

Perfect if it acts as an antibiotic for my situation I feed 2 times a day, but went crazy on the xmas fish sales and i started turf wars = stress=ich 1st time in 7 years

OP
OP
Shane808262

Shane808262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Ended up using the copper since it is more effective on eliminating ich. Started dosing 2 weeks ago and I check the levels everyday. I moved my copperband to a 20 long after Being treated with copper for 2 weeks for the ich after a few more weeks he will return to the 55 gallo. He is only 2 1/2 in right now butbi thin’ he may have internal parasites since he eats so much food multiple times a day but isn’t gaining weight. Dose prozi pro treat internal parasites or will food soaked in garlic work.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic is only a stimulant not medicinal. Prazi does treat internal parasites. May want to also use general cure powder in food/good luck.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back