Can I use a freshwater light for corals?

VisibleClownage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a freshwater tank and i'm using it for a saltwater system. I plan on having a few corals, but the light that came with the tank only emits 7000K.

My family really doesn't want me to spend another 100 dollars for a lighting system.

Are there corals that will live just fine under that light or should I just stick to FOWLR?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get away with some softies/zoas as long as the light is bright enough. You're not going to get the "color pop" you'd get with a light meant for saltwater though. How big is the tank? An Aquaknight A029 is a great budget light for smaller tanks. Can't beat $60 for a light that'll grow just about anything you put underneath it

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the light I was referring to:

Apparently they come with a free filter sock now, I'm a little jealous ;Joyful

How much area would you say 1 of these would cover?

Curious if 2 of these would work for my 100x40cm tank.

Alvaro_Spain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most softies, zoas, and some LPS will be fine with that light. Colors will pop less though. But reefs were lighted with warm lights in the beginning of reefing and they were cool too.

If you go into LPS I´d sugest red favites and green duncans. They have nice colors in white light.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Most lamps cover 24x24x24

You can probably use one for low light softies, but obviously less par/light on the ends of the tank.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7000k only refers to color not intensity. if you are worried about 100 bucks in the slightest dont start with coral. It takes more then light to keep coral alive, lots of water changes and filtration and test equipment and chemicals to maintain a decent environment. Its best to go ALL in or all out. My vote is FOWLR

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry, dumb American had to convert this to inches hahaha I think you'd need 3 of those lights to cover that amount of space, and the depth of the tank will be an important consideration too. I currently have those lights on a Fluval Flex 15 (41cmLx39Wx39H) and I think anything over 50cm high might be a stretch as far as getting the PAR on the bottom of the tank. They're great lights for smaller tanks, but when you're getting to the point of needing 3 of them you might find better budget options like the Viparspectras or Relassys to cover that space.

willieboy240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run those on my frag tank. It’s a great light for the money. Doesn’t cover a big area. So nano tank. Can’t beat it for the price. I grow high end sps with it too.

willieboy240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some 2-3 years. I add as I go. Since they are only 30 watts on full tilt.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 87

BoralBandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a freshwater tank and i'm using it for a saltwater system. I plan on having a few corals, but the light that came with the tank only emits 7000K.

My family really doesn't want me to spend another 100 dollars for a lighting system.

Are there corals that will live just fine under that light or should I just stick to FOWLR?
I'm currently using a Ai Prime 16 Freshwater to cycle my tank(still waiting to get funds together for a Radion Xr15) so far so good, no issues.

LittleFidel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two finnex lights over my reef currently. One is 6500k and one is 7000k. They seem to work fine but I wonder if adding a 420nm actinic light to supplement is useful.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater spectrum lights are fine - I can color coral better under 6500k T5s than most people can with their windex LEDs. There is an example of this on the last page or two of my rebuild thread with some mushrooms, but I keep acropora under these as well. The intensity has to be there, though, and I have no idea if these are strong enough. 4x 6500k T5 HO in a shallow tank is plenty of light for what I use it for.

LittleFidel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two lights I use come to about 150 par total at the bottom of the tank, according to data from the manufacturer.

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, dumb American had to convert this to inches hahaha I think you'd need 3 of those lights to cover that amount of space, and the depth of the tank will be an important consideration too. I currently have those lights on a Fluval Flex 15 (41cmLx39Wx39H)
Trust me, I hate having a tank in metric units in a hobby where everything is imperial. Theres like no benefit yo.

I wasn't able to find those lights in the UK, so I don't think I'd get them anyway. Looking at getting some used AI hydras/radions etc right now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back