Can I use Api general cure in a tank that will eventually be my Coral QT tank?

mosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to eventually use this cycled 20 gallon quarantine tank for Coral, but not for 90 days or more

Will live rock & sand absorb Api general cure similar to how they absorb copper? (Trying to avoid making the tank unsuitable for inverts and corals in the future)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to eventually use this cycled 20 gallon quarantine tank for Coral, but not for 90 days or more

Will live rock & sand absorb Api general cure similar to how they absorb copper? (Trying to avoid making the tank unsuitable for inverts and corals in the future)
Generally speaking, I would not use rock and sand in a treatment tank. However, the ingredients in API general cure (prazipro and metronidazole) - have been used in display tanks - with prazipro more tolerable than metronidazole. I'm not sure there is a lot of good data on which (if any) rocks, sand adsorb these medications since people do not check levels. The good news is that it is much easier to remove trace levels of these drugs just by using a good quality carbon (activated) - so it would be my opinion that there would be no problem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back