Can i use Chihiros WRGB 2 lights for a reef tank?

mhmilk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

New to reef tanks. I have a freshwater tank which i want to convert to a salt water tank. I am using a chihiros wrgb 2 slim light. Is this suitable for a reef tank?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.
What size tank do you have? Those lights will be fine until you get corals that demand high par. If there is room, in the future you may add to it.

OP
OP
M

mhmilk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.
What size tank do you have? Those lights will be fine until you get corals that demand high par. If there is room, in the future you may add to it.
it's a 30cm cube. i would like to put 2 clown fish and some corals. so i should get a light suited for reef instead?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the corals you want to keep. I have been reefing for 7 years and still I need to research the lighting requirements of corals. Yes eventually you will need a higher wattage light or 2. A 30cm cube? Is that like 10-15 gallon?

Some corals will flourish in the shade.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's also important to know the spectrum the corals require that you want to keep. Depending on the LEDs in the light you have they might not be the correct spectrum (primarily the blue) for some coral types. Reef lights have the correct spectrum and intensity.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read on another thread that micromusa's don't require high light levels.

Dedicated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

New to reef tanks. I have a freshwater tank which i want to convert to a salt water tank. I am using a chihiros wrgb 2 slim light. Is this suitable for a reef tank?
My first YouTube video and the audio is kookie. But here’s a decent option. And very affordable

Hhaynie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older thread, but the WRGB 2 has completely customisable rgb values. I think it could work, but what would be the recommended rgb ratios?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older thread, but the WRGB 2 has completely customisable rgb values. I think it could work, but what would be the recommended rgb ratios?
I think there are still many white, red and green leds to use for a reef tank. If you were to use it for a macro algae tank, then I think it would be suitable.

Hhaynie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be completely blue if you set it. The individual leds are RGB, so You don't lose any diodes by turning the red or green channels off. It would be perfect for macroalgae, but i think you could adjust the channels to be the correct spectrum for corals. there is no white channel in their rgb lights.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light the OP asked about is 33 watts. Assuming an even split between R, G and B - that's about 10 watts with just the blues on. Could keep mushrooms with that. Ramping up the R and G to more than 10% will quickly give the light an unattractive hue.

Hhaynie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that the leds didn’t lose power when they changed color. Might’ve heard it from a review or something. Anyways, I think you could get a good spectrum with it. And it is perfect for any macro or planted tank. I’ll fiddle with mine and see if I can’t get a good color with it.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can afford a wrgb, i would just buy a cheap reef light. Repurpose the wrgb for plants around the house or something. Or sell to offset the costs. I think you will have to make a lot of compromises to make it work. The spectrum will probably grow a lot of nuisance algae

Hhaynie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you’re right, a reef specific light would probably be better for corals. I got the color to look pretty good on the WRGB slim though.

(R10G10B100)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 151

Hhaynie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love them. Best freshwater light money can buy in my opinion. You can grow whatever you want and get the color just right . I at some point want to try out the new Nova reef lights from them.

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love them. Best freshwater light money can buy in my opinion. You can grow whatever you want and get the color just right . I at some point want to try out the new Nova reef lights from them.
Hey mate did you end up using this light?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back