14   0   0
@revhtree
This will be a good poll or topic

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toronto Tap, treated with Prime. This tank has been running for nearly seven years and here are some pics in all of it's tap water glory. No SPS but as you can see, excellent polyp extension. Three weeks ago, brought in a plumber and got an outlet for my newly purchased RO unit-and booster pump, as PSI was at 35 or so-and the tank looks better now but is still adjusting to the massive water change I did. My 2 bubble corals are still not extended/happy but I think, in no danger. I also did a complete breakdown and tho it was -basically-a BB tank, the crud that came out was just mind-boggling. Nitrates from the tap water were 0 but PO was 1.0.
I was concerned because as noted in the comments, heavy metals, etc. do build up over time and my condo is 45 years old and I am sure, uses copper piping.
If you are reactive and not proactive in this hobby, it won't be a happy ending!

1644774256364.jpeg

1644774580526.jpeg
1644774477532.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Toronto Tap. This tank has been running for nearly seven years. No SPS but as you can see, excellent polyp extension. Three weeks ago, brought in a plumber and got an outlet for the RO unit-and extra pump, as PSI was on 35 or so-and the tank looks better now.
I was concerned because as noted in the comments, heavy metals, etc. do build up over time and my condo is 45 years old and I am sure, uses copper piping.

1644774256364.jpeg

1644774580526.jpeg
1644774477532.jpeg
Looks nice
Not saying it cant be used as I did for two years. Its more. . . Know whats in the water Before you use it. Many try to save money by doing such and get horrid results. SPS dont fare as well as softies in which my tank at the time was also softies. SPS rarely grew in that tank. Not saying water was issue but very coincidental

This was the tank on Tap:

360g.png
360h.png
360g corals2.jpg

Arthurfarris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can comfortably use tap water in your aquarium if you know how to make tap water safe for use in aquariums. To handle harmful substances in tap water, you must first check a number of factors such as pH, calcium carbonate, heavy metals, etc. in tap water and proceed to remove them. Reverse osmosis can be used to remove chlorine as well as heavy metals from tap water.
Although tap water is safe for human consumption, it is not the case if you use it for your fish tank. It needs to be treated to be safe for the usage of your aquarium.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 120 81.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back