Can I use this T5 fixture?

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon that is currently running with two AI Prime 16s. I am beginning the planning phase of a canopy and I am considering some supplemental lighting to even the tank out and reduce shadowing. I think a single t5 towards the front of the canopy and a single t5 towards the back would be ample for what I need. Is there any reason I couldn't use two of these fixtures from home Depot tethered together and controlled by a hydros? I would put ATI bulbs in them.

PXL_20230105_172320630.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can keep them dry they can work. Check and see if they are rated for a damp area. Better if they are, but they can light the bulb ok. Also not sure how they would look without a lamp shade / reflector? Neither is a deal killer but you will have to look at them unless they are hidden well!

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can keep them dry they can work. Check and see if they are rated for a damp area. Better if they are, but they can light the bulb ok. Also not sure how they would look without a lamp shade / reflector? Neither is a deal killer but you will have to look at them unless they are hidden well!
They will be fully enclosed within the canopy, so looking at an ugly fixture won't be an issue. I THINK I can keep them 100% dry but that is a good point I had not thought of yet. Thank you

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you want ones with sealed or water resistant endcaps, they make retrofit kits for canopies. These come with reflectors as well (important to have), I would make sure to add some sort of fans to pump out the hot air and push in fresh air. This can be done by adding cutouts to the canopy and installing some usb computer fans. I will link a couple of examples

Last edited:
OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you want ones with sealed or water resistant endcaps, they make retrofit kits for canopies as well. These come with reflectors as well (important to have), I would make sure to add some sort of fans to pump out the hot air and push in fresh air. This can be done by adding cutouts to the canopy and installing some usb computer fans. I will like a couple of examples

I will take a closer look at that kit you linked and see if it will work for the spacing I want to have. Spending an extra $40 is probably worth the piece of mind. Do you know anything about the bulbs that kit comes with?

I was already considering adding a couple of computer fans. I guess I definitely need to do that if I am going to put T5s in the hood.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the extra price is probably due to higher quality components and the added reflectors. I dont think the kit comes with any bulbs. I would probably use ati blue plus or coral plus in either light fixture

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have used these in the past before i got my aquatic life hybrid fixture. i agree with above, without reflectors its alot of wasted light and energy.

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which light off of Amazon did you use? Do they have reflectors?
2-Pack T5 HO Grow Light - 1 Bulb Light System - Fluorescent Hydroponic Indoor Fixture Bloom Veg Daisy Chain with Bulbs (2 Foot & w/ Reflector (DL8021R 2pack), Cool White | Vegetative) https://a.co/d/gGJVQDC

These have the reflectors. 2 pack for $53. The cords aren't very long though.

sjfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ballast is different as well. Why would you waste the energy with some junk Home Depot point of sale. I also recommend the LET Micro retro kit mentioned above (used it previously for many years). The ballasts are the same ones ATI uses, the reflectors are actually high polished aluminum, and the end caps are water tight. And no need for a fan on that one (although you can add one). You will probably get 50% more par out of that retrofit with an ATI bulb than the Home Depot or Amazon junk. But each to their own.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ballast is different as well. Why would you waste the energy with some junk Home Depot point of sale. I also recommend the LET Micro retro kit mentioned above (used it previously for many years). The ballasts are the same ones ATI uses, the reflectors are actually high polished aluminum, and the end caps are water tight. And no need for a fan on that one (although you can add one). You will probably get 50% more par out of that retrofit with an ATI bulb than the Home Depot or Amazon junk. But each to their own.

Busch Beer GIF by Busch

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, y'all have for sure convinced me to get the LET retrofit kit or nothing. Right now I just need to decide if I want to upgrade lighting for a tank that I'll only have for another year before upgrading and if so, which ATI bulbs do I like

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back