Can i use...

Alex Mederos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey R2R, im in need of a little help, if anyone has knowledge of this. Im currently fishless cycling (dr. tims 1AO and dr tims ammonia) an IM 25 lagoon (started 4/18) and ran out of the red sea nitrite liquid and powder additives. I do have a nitrate pro kit. Can that be used to test the nitrites? Since the marine test kit pulls a double duty with NO2/NO3.

Btw... i have:
2ppm ammonia (that hasnt dropped since day1)
0ppm nitrite (that hasnt risen at all)
.75ppm nitrate

I use RODI with brand new filters

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I would not think it would work, but I do not know what is in those reagents. Honestly, I do not even check nitrites. In 30-40 days you will be cycled with your method for sure. If you want to test or get a faster cycle then you could pick up a Nitrite only kit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some overlap in reagents, but I am not sure exactly how they formulate them and I wouldn't assume you can just swap in from a different kit.

Personally, I'd just ignore nitrite and focus on ammonia. The nitrite is not very important, nor is it a toxicity concern (as it is in fresh water). :)

OP
OP
Alex Mederos

Alex Mederos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for the fast responses!!!

Welcome to R2R!

I would not think it would work, but I do not know what is in those reagents. Honestly, I do not even check nitrites. In 30-40 days you will be cycled with your method for sure. If you want to test or get a faster cycle then you could pick up a Nitrite only kit.

Yea I tried testing twice and just get a clear sample, no color. But 30-40 days?! That’s way off the 1-2 weeks people usually get their tanks cycled.

There is some overlap in reagents, but I am not sure exactly how they formulate them and I wouldn't assume you can just swap in from a different kit.

Personally, I'd just ignore nitrite and focus on ammonia. The nitrite is not very important, nor is it a toxicity concern (as it is in fresh water). :)

Randy, would dosing ammonia back up to 2 ppm after it hits 0 ppm be fine? Or should I keep it at 2 ppm by dosing ammonia as it falls?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, would dosing ammonia back up to 2 ppm after it hits 0 ppm be fine? Or should I keep it at 2 ppm by dosing ammonia as it falls?

I'd wait for it to hit zero, then redose. :)

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea nitrate and nitrite tests. From the labels on the bottles of the nitrite test, the A and C reagents look the same as the A and C reagents for the nitrite test. Both bottles indicate NO2/NO3. I have never tried them out switching the test. The nitrite test is 1 drop of A reagent in 16 ml of sample and mix fotb10 sec. then add a scoop of reagent C and mix for 10 seconds. Wait for 9 min for the color to develop.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back