Can Leather Corals suffer STN?

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Crown Leather that looks weird on its tips and am wondering if this can happen.

kles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics ? Most likely the process that leather go though that the srink up and look a skin layer .some go though it alot some not often it's a process the get rid of toxins and alage or debris its perfectly normal. But a pic would help.

OP
OP
C

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics ? Most likely the process that leather go though that the srink up and look a skin layer .some go though it alot some not often it's a process the get rid of toxins and alage or debris its perfectly normal. But a pic would help.

1576019083376110205878246810841.jpg

kles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya looks like its irritated maybe something touched it but looks like what I was saying the shedding thing . All mine do it from time to time sometimes it's part of the leather other times the whole thing looks bad but a few days good as new. But following if anyone has ideas .

Nano427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like something stung it. Do you have any other corals nearby? Maybe a torch or other coral with sweepers? Does the effected area seem to be growing or staying the same size? If it’s growing, I would consider cutting the bad area off. If it’s staying the same I’d wait to see what happens. Leathers are pretty hardy so I’m sure it’ll be ok.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm skeptical those places are bad and it's more than likely a matter of how the camera is working with light. If the spots are bad they will create "dust" or milk when you touch it. I.e. the flesh is falling apart. I've had softies, especially toad stools and crowns to stuff like this where like one part looks "gray" but that's because the one part was against fluffed areas. Usually these righted themselves and it was only a case of bad hair day.
However, if the sections are actively crumbling I'd frag it to save the healthy areas and dispose of the rest.

OP
OP
C

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm skeptical those places are bad and it's more than likely a matter of how the camera is working with light. If the spots are bad they will create "dust" or milk when you touch it. I.e. the flesh is falling apart. I've had softies, especially toad stools and crowns to stuff like this where like one part looks "gray" but that's because the one part was against fluffed areas. Usually these righted themselves and it was only a case of bad hair day.
However, if the sections are actively crumbling I'd frag it to save the healthy areas and dispose of the rest.
So, in case it doesn't right itself, I should cut the bad areas right?

OP
OP
C

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like something stung it. Do you have any other corals nearby? Maybe a torch or other coral with sweepers? Does the effected area seem to be growing or staying the same size? If it’s growing, I would consider cutting the bad area off. If it’s staying the same I’d wait to see what happens. Leathers are pretty hardy so I’m sure it’ll be ok.
No corals near it other than a toadstool.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, in case it doesn't right itself, I should cut the bad areas right?

Yes.
But don't plan on cutting them at the "edge" of the bad spot. Sometimes they run deep and still look okay on the outside. I'm just trying to prepare you for the possibility of having tiny healthy chunks left and nothing else. If you have a good nose (and know what you are smelling for) you can sniff test the coral and usually tell if the tissue is infected or dying.
The down fall of that if you're sensitive to the chemicals the coral gives off it can make you sick. The best way, imho, to check is to rub something (not too hard) against those "damaged" looking areas. If it crumbles or puffs out white milky "smoke" you know it's diseased. If it remains intact then you know it's just having an existential crisis.

OP
OP
C

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.
But don't plan on cutting them at the "edge" of the bad spot. Sometimes they run deep and still look okay on the outside. I'm just trying to prepare you for the possibility of having tiny healthy chunks left and nothing else. If you have a good nose (and know what you are smelling for) you can sniff test the coral and usually tell if the tissue is infected or dying.
The down fall of that if you're sensitive to the chemicals the coral gives off it can make you sick. The best way, imho, to check is to rub something (not too hard) against those "damaged" looking areas. If it crumbles or puffs out white milky "smoke" you know it's diseased. If it remains intact then you know it's just having an existential crisis.
Thanks! I'll check later and see what happens

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back