Can Moorish Idols handle copper?

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boss gave me this gorgeous Moorish idol for a steal that was surrendered by a customer today. He eats absolutely anything. Pellets, frozen, flakes, nori, etc . The reason he was brought in was because he eats zoas (which luckily I don’t have).

Currently, all my fish are in QT in copper (Cupramine) due to an ich outbreak that occurred when I bought a coral from a tank that had ich. (I didn’t know at the time).

The moorish would have to go in with them in the copper. If it cannot handle copper, then I will absorb it all, add the moorish and then slowly drop salinity.

Thanks everyone for any help! This is the little guy here. Sorry the pics aren’t the best.

IMG_8221.JPG

IMG_8225.JPG
IMG_8233.JPG

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I believe that they can handle copper, I'm sure the levels should be raised gradually. I've never worked with them, but @4FordFamily has quarantined several, with good results.

Beautiful fish, and looks to be in pretty good health!

~Bruce

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I believe that they can handle copper, I'm sure the levels should be raised gradually. I've never worked with them, but @4FordFamily has quarantined several, with good results.

Beautiful fish, and looks to be in pretty good health!

~Bruce
That’s correct, I don’t find eating idols to have any copper sensitivity whatsoever. I’ve gotten many to eat during fully therapeutic copper as well. They handle it well IME and IMO.

It’s not advisable to dump it in to therapeutic copper right away for any fish, however. I’d advise a ramp up in separate QT, or removing and re-vamping if this guy is a priority :)

OP
OP
lucyretz

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s correct, I don’t find eating idols to have any copper sensitivity whatsoever. I’ve gotten many to eat during fully therapeutic copper as well. They handle it well IME and IMO.

It’s not advisable to dump it in to therapeutic copper right away for any fish, however. I’d advise a ramp up in separate QT, or removing and re-vamping if this guy is a priority :)

I can do that!!! Thank you!!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 173 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 44 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back