Can my floor support my 200 gallon?

jtermini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
This is my first post on the forum. I am purchasing a proclear 200. I am told the final weight will be around 2100-2200 pounds. The tank is 5 ft long x 26 inches deep x 26 heigh. I live in a 6th-floor apartment in Miami in a solid concrete building (13 floors in total). The tank would be placed next to a structural pile and the whole place has all poured concrete floors. I spoke to my building management company about the weight and they said it would be fine....however, I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with a similar situation. Anyone place such a heavy tank in a solid concrete building? The weight would be spread over 10 sq feet...so around 220 pounds per sq ft. It should be fine according to resistance calculations I have found online. From what I am seeing, poured floors allowed by code should be able to resist 175kg per sq cm!! So more than enough. But just want to make sure my neighbor below me isn't going to wake up to a surprise one day, haha.

Thanks all. I really value your shared experiences.

All the Best,
James

OP
OP
J

jtermini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your response JumboShrimp. The calculations are complicated and I have been having trouble finding the appropriate resources online. I see so much on the calculation of load for wood-based supports. But not a lot on concrete floors. Most slab calculations I find are not for suspended floors. I spoke to one architect that said it would be more than fine...and another one that has concerns, haha. Not making me feel very confident. So I will try to reach out to a structural engineer tomorrow and have them review the plans and give me a definitive answer. Will post their finding here in case it can be helpful to someone else.

I would find it hard to believe that such a solid building that has stood up to so many hurricanes since 1973 could not survive my reef tank....but crazier things have happened in the world.

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a couple pictures of the area where tank will be but from the sound of it you should have no issues.
How big is the freight elevator?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank would be fine on a concrete floor.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
This is my first post on the forum. I am purchasing a proclear 200. I am told the final weight will be around 2100-2200 pounds. The tank is 5 ft long x 26 inches deep x 26 heigh. I live in a 6th-floor apartment in Miami in a solid concrete building (13 floors in total). The tank would be placed next to a structural pile and the whole place has all poured concrete floors. I spoke to my building management company about the weight and they said it would be fine....however, I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with a similar situation. Anyone place such a heavy tank in a solid concrete building? The weight would be spread over 10 sq feet...so around 220 pounds per sq ft. It should be fine according to resistance calculations I have found online. From what I am seeing, poured floors allowed by code should be able to resist 175kg per sq cm!! So more than enough. But just want to make sure my neighbor below me isn't going to wake up to a surprise one day, haha.

Thanks all. I really value your shared experiences.

All the Best,
James

If management is fine with it, then you just want to make sure it is in writing (email or text), for just the off chance something happens down the road.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes you feel any better I have put up 12 ft solid fiberglass commercial satellite dishes on 5ftx5ft slabs that are poured on concrete roofs. The dishes and stand weigh in at about 2500 lbs and a crane is needed to get them on the roof. The slab that is poured is about an additional 1000lbs. So that 5ft 8" thick section of roof is holding up 3500 lbs and is rated to do so in 100 MPH winds while holding the sheer force from what is literally a 12ft Kite. Your floor could take double the weight your putting on it.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back