Aquarium weight limit on floor?

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 100~ gallon total water volume setup. I estimate tank, stand, water and equipment to be 1200 lbs maybe a little over. 4ft x 2ft roughly. This is on my “1st floor” underneath is a finished basement, so it rests on an 8ft tall concrete footing. I’ll be placing the tank against a wall that rests on the footing and close to a corner that also has the footing. Underneath is a basement room that is the same size as the top floor, so like 2 squares resting on top of each other. About 500-600 sqft on top of 500-600 sq ft. I’m wondering if that’s too much weight?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People over think this issue pretty regularly on here. I always recommend that they either set up a bigger tank ( :face-with-hand-over-mouth:) or ask them if the house was inspected and approved by a County Building Department. Reason is that modern building codes have anticipated the occasional excess loading and planned to not have piano's and aquariums falling through floors onto the one below. Sometimes these threads get really long, engineers are often recommended, etc, and folks who have done what you want to do will post pictures of what they did, including adding extra floor bracing and jacks and trusses and all kinds of contraptions that they could to help ease their minds that the floors were not going to accellerate.

I have seen all kinds of posts of aquarium seam failures, floods, catastrophic events but never has anyone posted an aquarium falling from upstairs to down in a modern built to code residential dwelling.

There is on line a picture of a giant aquarium (I think in Germany?) that was acrylic and it broke and flooded under it's own weight but again this huge unit was not designed and tested by time and modern building codes. Just mention it because it's the only outlier that comes to mind in the oops department. 100 gallon tanks leak but they don't have a record of crashing through ceilings.

HTH.
Images Repair GIF by getflexseal

OP
OP
Kodock

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense, thank you! I’m assuming that being close to the supporting wall provides sufficient support, but I question potential indentation or sagging (longterm) on the floor. Buy you’re right lol the aquarium isn’t jumping up and down. Support directly underneath wouldn’t be possible anyway, as the basement is finished and has a ceiling with cables and duct work running through it and what not. I’d have to build some weird column/closet in the corner

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense, thank you! I’m assuming that being close to the supporting wall provides sufficient support, but I question potential indentation or sagging (longterm) on the floor. Buy you’re right lol the aquarium isn’t jumping up and down. Support directly underneath wouldn’t be possible anyway, as the basement is finished and has a ceiling with cables and duct work running through it and what not. I’d have to build some weird column/closet in the corner
I often recommend having a party at the house and getting a bunch of sloshed buddies to jump up and down on the floor where you are going to put the aquarium..... :face-with-tears-of-joy:

If it falls through, at least you wont lose any fish friends.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 100~ gallon total water volume setup. I estimate tank, stand, water and equipment to be 1200 lbs maybe a little over. 4ft x 2ft roughly. This is on my “1st floor” underneath is a finished basement, so it rests on an 8ft tall concrete footing. I’ll be placing the tank against a wall that rests on the footing and close to a corner that also has the footing. Underneath is a basement room that is the same size as the top floor, so like 2 squares resting on top of each other. About 500-600 sqft on top of 500-600 sq ft. I’m wondering if that’s too much weight?
As maybe a reference, I have 200g 1st floor so 2,000lbs, but unfinished basement. Only these 2x4 framing in the basement, getting no shake/sag in 3 years so far.

Tank back is close to outside wall, concrete basement and the “brace” in the pic is close to the front, but not behind.
IMG_1032.jpeg

OP
OP
Kodock

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As maybe a reference, I have 200g 1st floor so 2,000lbs, but unfinished basement. Only these 2x4 framing in the basement, getting no shake/sag in 3 years so far.

Tank back is close to outside wall, concrete basement and the “brace” in the pic is close to the front, but not behind.
IMG_1032.jpeg

IMG_4776.jpeg

IMG_4777.jpeg

Brick veneer is finished basement mancave (ugly but renovating) white wall is 1st floor. Ignore the table and lamp, trying to figure out what to put there (how about a tank - and here we are)

OP
OP
Kodock

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1032.jpeg

[A

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Likely not especially of concrete. Assure floor is level and with rock and decor, estimate at 12# per gallon

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put 4 adults where the tank is going would the floor flex, or does it remain firm? (You’ll feel it move) if it’s weak you’d see a crack in the ceiling of the basement.

Put a level on the floor from the wall out, does it change with the added weight of the people?

Put a glass of water on the floor, can you make it ripple?

Looks like normal construction to me so I see no reason you can’t put a 100g in there.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100g doesn't seem like much to worry about to me. But I live on a concrete slab. If truly concerned, while remodeling, add a column or little wall there to sure it up. May be useful when the upgrade tank comes into play...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back