Can red bt anemones spawn in tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter dimis
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dimis

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 24, 2024
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
Location
greece
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ve got a dozen bta news in my tank, which I run with canister filters. Today I cleaned one of the canister filters after God knows how many months. I found inside a baby bta nem. I don’t think it s possible, but do they spawn in aquariums? I know they can’t reach the filter intake unless they can regenerate from a tiny piece.
Any experience with something similar? Cause I ve got another two canister filters connected in line, the first of which I leave don’t open for years and maybe I should. open them.
 
So I ve got a dozen bta news in my tank, which I run with canister filters. Today I cleaned one of the canister filters after God knows how many months. I found inside a baby bta nem. I don’t think it s possible, but do they spawn in aquariums? I know they can’t reach the filter intake unless they can regenerate from a tiny piece.
Any experience with something similar? Cause I ve got another two canister filters connected in line, the first of which I leave don’t open for years and maybe I should. open them.
My BTA spawns from time to time. But you require a male and a female one to spawn at the same time or you won't be getting fertilized eggs that can become new anemones. I also don't know of successful sexual reproduction of BTAs in reef tanks, the gametes and larvae probably just end up in the skimmer or being eaten.

I also doubt small larvae will grow under the light-starved conditions in a filter into actual anemones that you would recognize as BTAs.
 
All the anemones are clones from a single anemone. So I doubt I have both sexes. But I also have mesh around the intakes so it probably is a new anemone that regenerated from a tiny piece that may have gotten inside. I don’t know how long it s been there. I am too lazy sometimes to clean them.
 
So I ve got a dozen bta news in my tank, which I run with canister filters. Today I cleaned one of the canister filters after God knows how many months. I found inside a baby bta nem. I don’t think it s possible, but do they spawn in aquariums? I know they can’t reach the filter intake unless they can regenerate from a tiny piece.
Any experience with something similar? Cause I ve got another two canister filters connected in line, the first of which I leave don’t open for years and maybe I should. open them.
I don’t know about spawning but they do split. I started with 1 BTA. Now I have multiples. One split off into 3 a couple of weeks ago.
 
I don’t know about spawning but they do split. I started with 1 BTA. Now I have multiples. One split off into 3 a couple of weeks ago.
Mine also do that but it s simply impossible to get through the mesh and also not to clog the filter intake. If I had a sump it could happen easily. But it s an eheim canister with extra mesh around the intakes mesh.
 
Unless you've got the sponge-type mesh covering your intakes, I think it's more likely that it's a split of one of your BTAs that just got stuck in the filter (they can actually squeeze through really small slits) and then withered in size. I've had anemones of various species that have lost quite a bit of their mass based on various circumstances. I lean toward this because sexual reproduction in BTAs means lots of eggs and possibly lots of babies. I'd assume you'd find more than just one, or two.
 
Unless you've got the sponge-type mesh covering your intakes, I think it's more likely that it's a split of one of your BTAs that just got stuck in the filter (they can actually squeeze through really small slits) and then withered in size. I've had anemones of various species that have lost quite a bit of their mass based on various circumstances. I lean toward this because sexual reproduction in BTAs means lots of eggs and possibly lots of babies. I'd assume you'd find more than just one, or two.
I don’t think many eggs would survive with the canister filters and the protein skimmer sucking them up. I do have a lot of new small anemones but that could be from them splitting. I also have a lot of translucent mushroom corals in the other canisters (a light and there they were at the bottom of the canister).
I guess some girls wander by mistake ….
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new