Can someone explain Pods to me?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ShaggyRS6
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Yes it should be after the skimmer. So you can either go skimmer ->fuge-> return or go skimmer ->return<-fuge. The arrows showing the direction of water flow. A lot of people rather use a T on their return line and send some into the fuge so they can better control the flow of water so its not too fast. Ive done both ways though with success.
 
Do I just tip the whole bottle in they came in? I don’t like chucking unidentifiable water in my tank :)
I get that - i really do. That's what I've done in the last. Just dump all contents in the tank and even swish with some tank water to get everything out. Most of the pods will be so small you might not see them at all but it's amazing what happens in just a couple weeks after adding them!
 
Ok I’m sold! Where do I get these pods!

Unless you started with all dry rock, and have not added and frags, or rocks or anything else from an established system... You already have them.

It's nearly impossible to have a reef tank without pods ;)

Look at your tank at night, with a flashlight.


J.
 
Do I just tip the whole bottle in they came in? I don’t like chucking unidentifiable water in my tank :)
I would not worry about the water that contains the pods, I normally added them to display after the lights went off. Turned off all pumps for a few.
 
There are a variety of different types of copepods that are currently being used in aquariums.

The old standby are the basic Tisbe pod, which do a good job of eating detritus and uneaten foods and will usually be found in the rockwork and sandbed.

I like Tigriopis pods w/ @Reef Nutrition Tigger pods being my go to supply. Like Tisbe pods, these will most commonly be found on the rockwork and sandbed, they will also benefit from feeding phytoplankton.

If you want something free swimming, I like apocyclops, branded Apex Pods by @Reef Nutrition but so far have not found them to be good at establishing a thriving population as they are easily eaten out of the water column. However, they are very easy to culture in a 5 gallon bucket.

Hope this helps.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new