Can someone good at studies explain this to me?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this topic a few months ago, but I just want to understand better.

Does anyone know where to full article is? If higher phosphates inhibit calcification, how does it make sense that these acros grow faster in increasing levels of phosphate? I feel like there’s details that I’m missing.

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't had a chance to comb it thoroughly, but they're saying faster growth in high PO4 = a less dense, more brittle skeleton.

Attachments

• 1-s2.0-S0022098111004588-main.pdf
    918.3 KB · Views: 36

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This study does line up with most everything I've read on corals in higher nutrient systems.

Perhaps @Randy Holmes-Farley or some of our other #chemistrygurus might have more input on the questions you're asking about why.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised and disappointed that they do not provide any information on the available nitrogen (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ etc). They also appeared to directly feed the corals.

Perhaps I missed it, but all I can find is this nearly meaningless comment:

"We controlled heavily for a variety of potential confounding factors,... and nitrogenous compounds (kept in check using a bacterial filter). "

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised and disappointed that they do not provide any information on the available nitrogen (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ etc). They also appeared to directly feed the corals.

"We controlled heavily for a variety of potential confounding factors,... and nitrogenous compounds (kept in check using a bacterial filter). "
I’m not even sure I saw anything about alkalinity either. Just calcium. Maybe I missed it though.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I took a good look at the article @shootingstar_reef posted and I do see mention of nitrates/ammonia/nitrites

C3EE309E-D2C9-4518-9CC0-0281CD7EF8D4.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back