Can someone explain how to install Siphon Breaker for Auto Top Up (ATO)?

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment, what I have are:
  1. Pump that is connected to sensor
  2. One metre tube/hose
And I have siphon issue (ATO Reservoir keep flowing to the sump) because ATO Reservoir water level is higher than sump water level.

Yes I understand that there is many ways to Rome to tackle this siphon issue:
  1. Putting the tube outlet higher than ATO Reservoir water level (aka putting it in DT) - can be done and an alternative to the siphon breaker, which is the preferred method.
  2. Making the ATO reservoir water level lower than sump water level (which I prefer not to do because we will be going away for 1 month)
  3. Raising the sump level (which is impossible for us)
So going back to the essence of this topic about Siphon Breaker, apology for the stupid question, how do I install this?

1692127647936.png
1692127681220.png

Does this mean that I need to:
  1. Cut the 1m tube/hose
  2. Connect one end to the pump
  3. Connect the other end to one end of the siphon breaker
  4. Take the remainder from 1m tube/hose and connect to other end of the siphon breaker
  5. Ensuring that the siphon breaker remains on top of water reservoir level and inside the water reservoir (just like picture 2)

Is that how it works?

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like we're going with option #1. You can really put the siphon break anywhere you want - just be aware that it's going to drip, so you'll want it above either the sump or RO reservoir (and higher than the water level in either).

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use a drill to put a large hole at the end of the tube above the water line

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use a drill to put a large hole at the end of the tube above the water line
probably could pinch the 6mm tube and create a tiny hole with just a pen really, you're right. should I? hmmm but tiny hole might have a chance clogging, which beat the purpose when we're away and risking the sump to overflow.

but big hole assume will also affect the pump power to deliver the water on the outlet end as water will now also squirt from that big hole and perhaps no water will even be delivered on the outlet? I don't know, I'm assuming things but logically speaking it will make the flow weaker as we now have big hole in between the pump and the outlet?

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small hole in the tubing just above your full level line in the ato reservoir is all you need to break siphon. If you are using rodi top off water without any additives there is hardly a chance of the hole getting clogged up. Make sure the end of the tube is above the waterline in your sump also.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back