ATO Gravity fed connect to Dosing pump - Syphon risk management

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
First time in my life, I finally have a reservoir that is higher than my tank, so I can say bye to the Electronic ATO that keeps failing on me. I'm planning to install a Float valve instead.

I use a Calcium Hydroxide Stirrer that needs to be fed fresh water, right now it's taking water from a container that is relatively the same level height or below the lime water cylinder with my dosing pump. I want to remove this container and connect everything with my big reservoir.

What if, I connect a line directly to the dosing pump? The problem is the constant siphon. The dosing pump itself blocks the tubing which would prevent the constant leak (fully? hmm) but it's not completely safe, there are many risks of failure in this setup. (Would use a valve in case of an accident)

Another option is to connect higher than water and use a break siphon for the dosing pump once it stops.

But I have never done this before and I was wondering if anyone had experience with a Gravity fed dosing pump setup.

20240212_103857.jpg
20240212_103825.jpg
20240212_104055.jpg

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it, and didn't work for me.
The connection on the doser is not made for the pressure created by the siphon and will most likely leak like mine did.
How often should the kalkstirrer get water and how much at a time?

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it, and didn't work for me.
The connection on the doser is not made for the pressure created by the siphon and will most likely leak like mine did.
How often should the kalkstirrer get water and how much at a time?
300ml, the shot, take about 10min?
1.2L total
Spaced between a few hours or something.

I'm having trust issues with the connection/junction of tubing if it's too loose, could pop and leak everything.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a raised calcium reactor that feeds the tank through a dosing pump that is lower than the reactor and the tank is lower than both. Never had an issue with siphon through a dosing pump, but maybe twice in ten years I have had a tiny seep in the 1/4 inch tubing that gravity feeds my auto top off in the sump. Tiny drip, when the tubing got molested when I cleaned out the ATO bucket and the quick connect allowed a drip to start at the tubing outlet.

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300ml, the shot, take about 10min?
1.2L total
Spaced between a few hours or something.

I'm having trust issues with the connection/junction of tubing if it's too loose, could pop and leak everything.
Well, you could use a magnetic valve, and adjust the flow so it pretty much matches the desired amount after x minutes of open.
I use a magnetic valve for ATO, but have sensors for on/off.

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you could use a magnetic valve, and adjust the flow so it pretty much matches the desired amount after x minutes of open.
I use a magnetic valve for ATO, but have sensors for on/off.
Hmm interesting but it goes against my philosophy, I make something with no electricity and reduce everything to the minimum possible. I am reducing the amount of failure possible. The only electricity used for the mix station is the little pump for the salt mix, when needed.

I made a test with another container to see how it goes and... it went fine, no issue. My concern is having the tubing pop on the dosing pump but I'm using a different kind of connector/tubing to make sure the tubing is really tight.

I made the hole on the barrel, currently filling back the water inside, hope it won't leak anywhere but so far I have 0 leak on like 60+ possibilities, crossing those nuts!

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm interesting but it goes against my philosophy, I make something with no electricity and reduce everything to the minimum possible. I am reducing the amount of failure possible. The only electricity used for the mix station is the little pump for the salt mix, when needed.

I made a test with another container to see how it goes and... it went fine, no issue. My concern is having the tubing pop on the dosing pump but I'm using a different kind of connector/tubing to make sure the tubing is really tight.

I made the hole on the barrel, currently filling back the water inside, hope it won't leak anywhere but so far I have 0 leak on like 60+ possibilities, crossing those nuts!
Well, whatever works. :)

John K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you hoping to run Kalk through a mechanical float valve? If so, clogging is likely to be a constant problem. (Otherwise, nevermind :) )

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back