How to connect ATO to prevent overflow?

vareefer1979

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, just wondering how you guys connect ATO to prevent overflow? I’m getting to install my first ATO with 5 gallon reservoir and wanted some ideas on proper overflow prevention recommendations. I know lots use float valve and switches just wondering which is most used. I’m a visual learner any pics would be helpful. If float valve is used would be back pressure damage ATO pump? Also, is there a quick connect that fits ATO pump with ro/di output? As far as i know most float valve require ro/di tubing that why I was asking about what type of connection is made at ATO pump output to convert to ro/di tubing. I have the reef breeders exo ATO. Any ideas/recommendations/pics would be appreciated.

Thanks

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 gallon bucket that is on a 24” fish tank stand that has an R/O connection near the bottom wall of the bucket that is directly connected to a float switch that is in the wall of my sump at the operating height. I fill 5 gallon bucket full and when the fish system evaporates the switch trickles water from the bucket to the sump. No pump, no electricity it just uses gravity to feed the float switch. Many years of failsafe operation if I remember to fill the reservoir bucket. On long vacations I have set up a series of siphon buckets to fill the reservoir while I was on vacation.

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In process of building my ATO, thought about the gravity fed but space limited for sizeable reservoir in the stand. I'm looking for decent looking reservoir or will have to build a nice seat/stool to cover the reservoir. Used paint to layout my wiring using a relay to prevent the pump from coming on if the reservoir is empty.

2 RELAY ATO WIRE DIAGRAM.png

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello, just wondering how you guys connect ATO to prevent overflow? I’m getting to install my first ATO with 5 gallon reservoir and wanted some ideas on proper overflow prevention recommendations. I know lots use float valve and switches just wondering which is most used. I’m a visual learner any pics would be helpful. If float valve is used would be back pressure damage ATO pump? Also, is there a quick connect that fits ATO pump with ro/di output? As far as i know most float valve require ro/di tubing that why I was asking about what type of connection is made at ATO pump output to convert to ro/di tubing. I have the reef breeders exo ATO. Any ideas/recommendations/pics would be appreciated.

Thanks
I use a JBJ ATO on my 240 gallon tank.
It uses 2 float switches that go to a control unit.
One is the float switch in my sump that activates the pump in the freshwater reservoir. The other is a low water float in the reservoir to stop the pump from running dry.
The pump only comes on when the control unit provides power to it. No back pressure.
I use a Avast ATO on my 66 gallon tank that is similar.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back