Can someone help me on how to ship live coral?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, residential rates are unbelievably expensive. I was quoted $220 UPS indiana to texas one box three fish, $189 fedex, $114 USPS.

USPS was also 3 days late and as a result of their incompetence killed 2/3 fish. Shipping residential is ridiculously expensive. Residential business highly subsidizes commercial business. the $40-60 shipping does not happen. I even tried to ship using my company account, it saved an average of 5%. Not worth it. Unless you have a business account that ships several boxes each day, it's too expensive.

Packing depends on the corals but the tricky part is rubber banding the bags. I worked at an lfs for over a year so I already knew that part!

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, residential rates are unbelievably expensive. I was quoted $220 UPS indiana to texas one box three fish, $189 fedex, $114 USPS.

USPS was also 3 days late and as a result of their incompetence killed 2/3 fish. Shipping residential is ridiculously expensive. Residential business highly subsidizes commercial business. the $40-60 shipping does not happen. I even tried to ship using my company account, it saved an average of 5%. Not worth it. Unless you have an account that ships several boxes each day, it's too expensive.

Packing depends on the corals but the tricky part is rubber banding the bags. I worked at an lfs for over a year so I already knew that part!
Alright thanks. Won't be shipping anytime soon.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks. Won't be shipping anytime soon.

Sorry for the bad news I was blown away. I assumed something closer to the rates quoted by fish/coral vendors online. Nope

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've shipped 8 anemones separately in the last 2 months to Cali, FL & NY via USPS and they all arrived the next day. If your not shipping fish and just corals, I would say your cost drops substantially based on less weight from less water packed. Each of my boxes averaged 7 to 10 lbs for shipping weight and the most expensive was the farthest point which ran about $65. Styro shipping boxes were from Amazon and you would need cooling gel packs if your shipping around this time of the year.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How the heck did you pull that off? My 3 fish weighed 14lbs!

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is a totally different animal!
With the anemones, I only averaged about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of water.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is a totally different animal!
With the anemones, I only averaged about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of water.
But the weight wasn't a whole lot different. Did you ship something other than overnight?

Stephanie11

Fragaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral is a different beast. I've shipped 20-30 times. Get a heat sealer and some poly bags. Good styro boxes cost me 7.50+ shipping fedex cost 45-90. 40hr heat packs for the winter are $2 each. Never go to a store. Make an account. Schedule a pickup or drop at the nearest location. Also if you make wrong guesstimates as far as weight and size these companies have weight and sizing stations along their routes.

I shipped out 14 frags on Monday. Cost me $7.50 box. $75 shipping. Baggies and such couple bucks. So for a $180 frag pack I netted half. I'm ok with that. I'm not a vendor and I sell to help fund my hobby.

If your work has a business rate then you can save/make more

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My business rate was 5% off. I am dumbfounded. Did you ship overnight or a different service?

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've shipped 8 anemones separately in the last 2 months to Cali, FL & NY via USPS and they all arrived the next day. If your not shipping fish and just corals, I would say your cost drops substantially based on less weight from less water packed. Each of my boxes averaged 7 to 10 lbs for shipping weight and the most expensive was the farthest point which ran about $65. Styro shipping boxes were from Amazon and you would need cooling gel packs if your shipping around this time of the year.
Do you have a peppermint angelfish?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No peppermint here Cleo!
3Ford, I think the difference might be that I am printing & paying for my postage online vs at the counter which is a sizeable savings and yes it is overnight next day by 12 noon or 3pm.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back