Can someone id this?

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I've seen them before, and I don't think it's a vermetid snail. Can't get a good angle on it, but it's just a hard, smooth black stick with some kind of build up at the base, almost as if it were a frag stuck in pea sized mound of putty.

1000006526.jpg

PharmrJohn

Picking Up My Trumpet Again After 35 Years!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it looks like a vermetid snail to me. However this is NOT my strong area in terms of knowledge base. As the Moody Blues oh so eloquently stated in a tune long past relevancy (1973), "I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band"......

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it looks like a vermetid snail to me. However this is NOT my strong area in terms of knowledge base. As the Moody Blues oh so eloquently stated in a tune long past relevancy (1973), "I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band"......
It very well might be, I just can't find a picture or desciption to match it.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several sponges on my live rock that look similar. I doubt that a vermetid snail with a shell that long could survive the transport.

PharmrJohn

Picking Up My Trumpet Again After 35 Years!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several sponges on my live rock that look similar. I doubt that a vermetid snail with a shell that long could survive the transport.
Well, they do come in as hitchhikers. That being said, I don't know the stages of growth and WHEN they manufacture their tube. But i can imagine they come in and finish off their growth while in the tank. I tried to download a few images, but only one made it onto my phone.

I thought I just read the tube is spiral in its construction.......

vermetid-snail-nasty-pest-in-coral-reef-aquarium-tank-2GEM8KJ.jpg

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I've seen them before, and I don't think it's a vermetid snail. Can't get a good angle on it, but it's just a hard, smooth black stick with some kind of build up at the base, almost as if it were a frag stuck in pea sized mound of putty.

1000006526.jpg
Does it have anything (like two antennae-looking things, for example) sticking out of it on occasion?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.9%
Back