Can someone please help me with my hammer coral!!!

OP
OP
Natescorals

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the other corals look perfect but like I said I just think the shrimp beat the hammer up pretty bad! It was perfectly fine til I started spot feeding him reef roids while the shrimp was in there. Horrible idea and I’ll never do that again because the shrimp tore him apart to get all the reef roids off of him.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many water changes won't let a tank developed good bacteria right?
The general answer to that is no. The bacteria you want live on surfaces, not in the water. The exception to that is in the initial cycle, about the first 30 days of the life of the tank, water changes would remove ammonia and nitrite that the colonies need to develop and grow.

That's really a different topic entirely, and if you're looking for information on water changes and bacteria you might want to start your own thread.

html

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I added some cheap carbon in a bag about a week ago and I guess I didn’t rinse it good enough and it made my tank extremely cloudy. Do you think that could be it?
Be careful with carbon and rinse good since it reacts in water and burn corals

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I keep thinking the tank is too clean cause I’ve heard euphyllia like more nutrient rich environment
Ive had a hammer for 15 years same colony. They are pretty hardy. My guess is your alk is the issue. Get a better test kit bc i dont think you can get a alk level that high by just doing water changes. If your going to keep lps and sps just invest in a hannah tester for alk. Its so easy, refills are reasonably priced and if your alk isnt stable your corals will strugle. Domt buy ati test kits in my opinion. I used to buy them long ago. They arent very good. I use red sea and hannah testers for most things, but there are some other good choices.

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I should remove all that filtration?
Your clearly going to get different opinions on the filtration but while i dont think its causing your peoblem i do think what your running is over kill. I dont run any chemical filtration other then carbon and gfo in a reactor and the chateo.

OP
OP
Natescorals

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with carbon and rinse good since it reacts in water and burn corals
[/QUOTE
After rinsing for about a minute

8AC47E35-9DD9-4089-9C55-CB58BB12DBDA.jpeg

OP
OP
Natescorals

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a hammer for 15 years same colony. They are pretty hardy. My guess is your alk is the issue. Get a better test kit bc i dont think you can get a alk level that high by just doing water changes. If your going to keep lps and sps just invest in a hannah tester for alk. Its so easy, refills are reasonably priced and if your alk isnt stable your corals will strugle. Domt buy ati test kits in my opinion. I used to buy them long ago. They arent very good. I use red sea and hannah testers for most things, but there are some other good choices.
But how do you keep alkalinity stable?

OP
OP
Natescorals

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I want is hammer, torch and frogspawn. Maybe Duncan. And my zoa’s and GSP. That’s all I really want it my tank. Is that really so hard to do?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back