Can striped fang blenny kill fish?

Jjd531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am planning on adding a new fish to my 20 gallon tall tank and this is a bit of a struggle because I have a dottyback I need something that's a good size and HARDY, I'm looking at fang blennies but heard they have poison fangs so im wondering if they'll kill a dottyback or anything for that matter, I read people saying they were peaceful but if agitated could it kill other fish with its bite? Also was looking at flame hawkfish, would this kill inverts and small fish like a neon goby and fire red shrimp and camel shrimp, it was pretty small at the lfs and could give it a larger tank that's more suitable down the road, and also are they reef safe are they going to agitate corals a lot? Any advice or suggestions appreciated, I'm thinking a wrasse is a no go right now because they swim in the rock like the dottyback, and large goby seems like it would shift a lot of sand around and mess up rock work.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a striped blenny and orchid dottyback and they pretty much ignore each other. Haven’t ever seen the blenny attack another fish. Very pretty and fun fish to watch always cruising around. It’s possible the established dotty would show aggression but it might not. Would also recommend getting an aquacultured blenny over a wild caught. You can always use a small acclimation box to watch for aggression too.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as flame hawk fish is concerned they are reef safe. Although it is often written that they attack shrimp, over the years that I have kept them, I have never observed that behavior. To be safe though probably best to add the shrimp first and let them settle in for a while before adding the FH. Also might want to buy the shrimp on the larger side as I’m sure the HF would be less likely to attack. But again, I’ve not had issues. I currently have 2 flamehawks in my 625g. They pretty much occupy opposite sides of the tank and are doing great. I wouldn’t add 2 to a 20g however. I don’t currently have shrimp in tank but plan on doing so with little hesitation in the future....they will be larger shrimp just to make sure...how many fish do you currently have in the tank?

FH’s have the greatest personalities and are awesome when they sit on ledge or rock and just look around with their wondering eyes. Good luck!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back