Can this fish really sleep like this?

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after my tank crashed and I have started over I have now added some new fish. All are doing very well and eating great. This little blue tang is happy and healthy with a great appetite and swims very actively all day. I noticed that past 2 mornings, he is "asleep" at the overflow? I first saw it and freaked out, thinking he was dead. He seemed to have woken up and did great all day. Ate well and was active. Again this am I found him in the same spot. Could this be a normal thing for a fish? I have never seen this, and only when the fish is close to death?

Greenreef75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught my little blue tang wedged between a coral and rock sideways and thought the same thing yesterday. So may be it is a blue tang thang.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame hawk sleeps at the overflow. Hippo tangs can squeeze into crevices so it may start sleeping in rock crevices as it grows. They can even lay sideways in crevices you would think would be too small for them.
I have lots of caves etc. but my flame hawk loves to sleep by overflow and has done it for several years.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wrasse in qt now that sleeps in the wedge behind a pump. Fish sleep in funny places.

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue tang wedges itself sideways between the heater and the glass of the tank. He goes whiter at night with the lights off too. The first time my wife saw him there, she though he was dead and started freaking out. I told her, "He's not dead he's resting." (any Monty Python fans?) And sure enough, I poke him and woke him up. She was amazed. (in her defense, he really does look dead when he sleeps there with that white coloring.)

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I sold my Blue tang( she wasn’t a fan of my Frogspawn) she would go in between two rocks and wedge herself in between them, then turn white. First I thought she was dead, then that morning she was on her normal routine! Following the Clownfish into the Frogspawn... seriously, she is Dori.

Back