Can. Turn a pool into a reef aquarium

isaacfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have this project in mind and I want to know if it is worthwhile I want to build a house and have my bedroom under my house and have my pool as a reef aquarium that has the glass as one of the walls of my bedroom
Also so I can dive in ok so what do you guys think

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Julian spring has a cool outdoor saltwater pond

Having an outdoor pool would be possible. But think it’s going to be hard at that size to get the right water flow

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pool as a reef? Definitely doable, as for swimming in it? Not sure that's something i would recommend, for two reasons.

1.) Greater risk of introducing contaminants from your body, unless you properly wash and rinse before entering the pool.
2.) Reef systems are inherently bacterial/biological hazards, any cuts or open wounds run a very real possibility of getting infected, which could potentially turn real nasty.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked on a house in NYC and they had an internal pool adjacent to the master bedroom with porthole windows that allows you to look into the pool. No reason that couldn’t be a gigantic reef tank

My concern for outdoor pool would be rain and evap changing salinity and rain bringing in contaminants, along with temperature management

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Converting a normal pool may involve replacing all the metal fixtures and plumbing bits and pieces.some may be buried under the cement.

OP
OP
I

isaacfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yes this is a dream and an architectural designer so I will draw it the send it but you guys think it is possible??

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can build a tank as large as your budget will allow and build a room off of it.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
think it is possible??
Of course it is, think public aquariums, many have viewing windows under the tanks. Now budget is a whole nother thing. Hope you have 50-100K just to get the pool alone up and running, not including livestock or any maintenance cost which would run you thousands a month as well.

ReefLegends

For all your phyto, rotifer and copepods needs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where is the picture from the email thread?
IMG_7453.jpeg

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can relate to every one that expressed them self and thought, ain't going to be easy, very expensive overhaul and maybe If you have the resources to make it happen, I will say... "Go for it"!
I can see what you want to achieve. Instead of having a chlorine pool you want a piece of reef where you could snorkel or even use a little tank for Scuba diving. Some kind of "Beach ⛱", I think it been done before, That could be in this hobby the "Ultimate Reefer Dream Tank".

This is my personal opinion and how I would personally approach that kind build if I got the resources to do something like it...

First of all
, I will state from the beginning, the budget for the project. It might cost you the same or even more to overhaul a swimming pool for your purpose. (Trust me I'm a retired "CPO" Certified Pool Operator).

Second, because I'm not a Monster Tank seasoned Reefer. I will look for really big systems caretakers for advice and insight. "Here are several Reefer's that could help". I will go to a public aquarium that has this incredible tanks, take a "behind the scenes tour". Right on the spot you will see, "what it takes to make it happen". I will chat with them and even try to befriends them. "They got more experience, than I definitely ever had!"

Third, but not the last on all the questions that you will be asking yourself along the road. I think is very important ... Did I will able to keep it up and running for my purposes for years to come and risk free from one of my point of view? (Master Bedroom).

All and on...
-That it can be possible to set a backyard saltwater aquarium pool? "Absolutely posible" 100%
-That is going to be easy? "Absolutely not" 90%
-That it will need tons of hours of planning? "Absolutely 100%"
-That... "If I got the resources and I'm willing to do it" with all the added costs? "Who knows, but I will sit and make an assessment of what I'm looking for? "Absolutely 100%"

And finally...
If you or anyone are going to set this goals. That's going to be the building treads to follow on "big dreams tank".

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If diving in it is a big feature of this endeavor, you may want to consider moving to the coast instead. It'd probably be a lot cheaper and less stress than building a house around an artificial reef haha.

monica HHF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love your idea. One really good thing that would help is volunteering an aquarium. I volunteer in Virginia Beach for approximately two years. It was an eye opener on how much sanitation you go through. I’ve became a much better diver since then……… good luck

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back