Can water be too clean for LPS?

aereaus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is, I have only used one other brand salt that is even close to Coral Pro and that's Tropic Marin. However, if I'm not mistaken there is no other salt out there that is naturally dehydrated ocean salt like Red Sea Coral Pro, I could be wrong but that's my understanding of it. A half cup per gallon with vigorous mixing and you're good to go. Just make sure to dry mix the salt really well before you start adding to water. The finer crystals can filter to the bottom of the bucket so you just wanna roll it around on the floor for a few minutes to make sure all the good stuff is evenly mixed.

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, in my experience. When i started going low nutrient my corals did better with lower Alk as well. There is a threshold issue.

aereaus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats true that a lot of people report better health with lower alk when nutrient loads are low. I keep mine at 10.5 with nitrates at .250 ppm and everything seems to do well. I think stability is the main concern and I have to admit I have had better success in large systems (500g plus) with lower alkalinity. Again I think its ratios that really pay off. Low alkalinity impairs the ability of calcium to be utilized even when magnesium is at optimal levels. At least in my experience.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back