Automatic water change

Alex_hairymoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After experiencing excessively high nitrate (NO3) and phosphate (PO4) levels in my aquarium, I decided to implement auto water changes as a solution. Since then, the NO3 levels have stabilized at around 4.9 ppm, and the PO4 levels have decreased to 0.01 ppm, albeit slightly lower than desired. However, a new challenge has emerged as my tank's glass and sand appear to be getting dirty and cloudy much faster than before, typically within two days. Despite this, my corals are thriving, exhibiting a newfound vibrancy, and the coralline algae growth is flourishing, I've adjusted the calcium and magnesium levels in the new saltwater bin, so I won’t have to dose those two the salt I use is Reef Crystals. Overall, despite the minor setbacks, the tank is running exceptionally well, with the inhabitants displaying remarkable health and vitality.

3g Wc daily

I'm concerned about the rapid drop in my nitrate (NO3) and phosphate (PO4) levels over just five days, as last week Wednesday, my NO3 was at 19.5 ppm and my PO4 was at 0.06 ppm, but now they have decreased significantly.

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on doing 1g WC daily or keeping at 3g and dosing sodium nitrate to keep nitrates at a healthy level?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id worry about the po4 level, maybe feed some reef roids. No3 leve,s are good. Watch your alk levels as the awc saltwater ages. Some lose alk over a couple of weeks in storage, per a brs salt study.

OP
OP
Alex_hairymoney

Alex_hairymoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id worry about the po4 level, maybe feed some reef roids. No3 leve,s are good. Watch your alk levels as the awc saltwater ages. Some lose alk over a couple of weeks in storage, per a brs salt study.
Yeah no I mix fresh batch weekly my DKH is about 8.9

OP
OP
Alex_hairymoney

Alex_hairymoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id worry about the po4 level, maybe feed some reef roids. No3 leve,s are good. Watch your alk levels as the awc saltwater ageSome lose alk over a couple of weeks in storage, per a brs salt study.
Thoughts on doing 1g WC daily or keeping at 3g and dosing sodium nitrate to keep nitrates at a healthy level?
I thought of adding some n03 to the fresh batch put side so it can supplement the tank maybe raise it to 8-10 on n03

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I'm a fan of AWC, but it (and water changer generally) are not going to solve a significant phosphate issue. Even a 100% change will typically result in only a partial removal due to phosphate bound to rock and sand that will then desorb.

OP
OP
Alex_hairymoney

Alex_hairymoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I'm a fan of AWC, but it (and water changer generally) are not going to solve a significant phosphate issue. Even a 100% change will typically result in only a partial removal due to phosphate bound to rock and sand that will then desorb.

We’ll have to disagree my brother, I went from 0.25 to 0.05 since I did a 20% WC then set up the AWC a month and a week and I’m down to 0.01 as of yesterday and only thing I changed was AWC I like my p04 @ around 0.05 and my n03 10-20

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ll have to disagree my brother, I went from 0.25 to 0.05 since I did a 20% WC then set up the AWC a month and a week and I’m down to 0.01 as of yesterday and only thing I changed was AWC I like my p04 @ around 0.05 and my n03 10-20

Even in the absence of any binding of phosphate to rock and sand (like changing water in a bare aquarium), that isn't even mathematically plausible to happen by water change unless the AWC was changing more than 7% daily.

Changing 20% and then 1% daily for 38 days in a bare aquarium will drop phosphate from 0.25 to 0.14 ppm.

Perhaps something else changed, such as the water change adding a needed trace element for something to begin growing. Very few people see phosphate dropping as you did from water change. This interpretation is supported by your comment:

" However, a new challenge has emerged as my tank's glass and sand appear to be getting dirty and cloudy much faster than before, typically within two days. "

That suggests that it may very well have been an added trace element rather than loss of phosphate by water change.

Last edited:

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After experiencing excessively high nitrate (NO3) and phosphate (PO4) levels in my aquarium, I decided to implement auto water changes as a solution. Since then, the NO3 levels have stabilized at around 4.9 ppm, and the PO4 levels have decreased to 0.01 ppm, albeit slightly lower than desired. However, a new challenge has emerged as my tank's glass and sand appear to be getting dirty and cloudy much faster than before, typically within two days. Despite this, my corals are thriving, exhibiting a newfound vibrancy, and the coralline algae growth is flourishing, I've adjusted the calcium and magnesium levels in the new saltwater bin, so I won’t have to dose those two the salt I use is Reef Crystals. Overall, despite the minor setbacks, the tank is running exceptionally well, with the inhabitants displaying remarkable health and vitality.

3g Wc daily

I'm concerned about the rapid drop in my nitrate (NO3) and phosphate (PO4) levels over just five days, as last week Wednesday, my NO3 was at 19.5 ppm and my PO4 was at 0.06 ppm, but now they have decreased significantly.

What percentage of total water volume are you changing daily?

On a 6 gallon tank, 3 gallons would be 50%.

How big is your tank?

OP
OP
Alex_hairymoney

Alex_hairymoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What percentage of total water volume are you changing daily?

On a 6 gallon tank, 3 gallons would be 50%.

How big is your tank?
My tank is the Redsea reefer 1000g2+ it’s 260g in total I am changing 3 gallons a day

OP
OP
Alex_hairymoney

Alex_hairymoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even in the absence of any binding of phosphate to rock and sand (like changing water in a bare aquarium), that isn't even mathematically plausible to happen by water change unless the AWC was changing more than 7% daily.

Changing 20% and then 1% daily for 38 days in a bare aquarium will drop phosphate from 0.25 to 0.14 ppm.

Perhaps something else changed, such as the water change adding a needed trace element for something to begin growing. Very few people see phosphate dropping as you did from water change. This interpretation is supported by your comment:

" However, a new challenge has emerged as my tank's glass and sand appear to be getting dirty and cloudy much faster than before, typically within two days. "

That suggests that it may very well have been an added trace element rather than loss of phosphate by water change.
I did add brightwell trace element to the tank about 2 weeks ago and also inside the new salt waterbin, you think that can lower the p04 and n03?

Also what do you think is getting my glass so couldn’t sleep fast in 2 days I’ll have to clean it

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is the Redsea reefer 1000g2+ it’s 260g in total I am changing 3 gallons a day

If my math is correct, 3 gallons per day only works out to be 8% weekly. It is generally accepted that water changes should be 20% weekly.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did add brightwell trace element to the tank about 2 weeks ago and also inside the new salt waterbin, you think that can lower the p04 and n03?

Also what do you think is getting my glass so couldn’t sleep fast in 2 days I’ll have to clean it

Likely algae. Like all photosynthetic organisms, it needs trace elements and certain bones, such as iron, can be growth limiting.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back