PO4 and NO3 control recommendations

MonoZXM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers,

This post might be a bit lengthy as I want to thoroughly explain my situation. I've been maintaining a 20-gallon reef tank for about a year now, but it's starting to feel cramped. Plus, I love collecting rare and high-end corals, so I've decided to upgrade to a 100-gallon tank. Now, my new tank is about 4-5 months old, and I'm encountering some issues that I could really use some help with.

I'm feeling quite frustrated with nutrient control in my reef tank. Initially, I fed twice daily with only frozen mysis shrimp, making sure to rinse it before feeding, to minimize my PO4 levels. Surprisingly, my PO4 stayed at 0.1, and NO3 hovered around 10, which seemed a bit high considering the feeding.

Then, I introduced some Algae Barn Live phytoplankton in hopes of reducing my PO4 and NO3 levels as well as boosting my pod population, but instead, my PO4 shot up to 0.15, while NO3 remained unchanged. To combat this, I added some softball-sized chaeto and a small amount of Red Ogo Gracilaria Macroalgae that came with my pods order to the refugium. However, after a couple of weeks, there were pretty much no changes in PO4 and NO3 levels, and the chaeto began to turn white, and diatoms were growing in the refugium and on the chaeto as well. Interestingly, the Red algae thrived compared to the chaeto, showing noticeable growth.

Since I still need to feed my coral, I started incorporating Arcti-Pods and Oyster Feast into the fish food once a day, along with feeding coral reef roids once a week. Additionally, I began dosing Brightwell Aquatics Phosphat-E (5 drops daily), which maintains my PO4 at around 0.15 (without dosing, it can rise to 0.2 or more). However, I'm unsure of what to do next, as I'd prefer to avoid daily manual dosing. While I know I could use GFO, I've heard conflicting opinions about its impact on reef tanks and how to control its phosphate removal.

Parameters and some additional information:

Alk, Cal, PO4, and NO3 were tested using Hanna checker; Everything else using Red Sea. I perform a water change every week, ranging from 10% to 20%.

Alkalinity: 8.3 - 8.6
Calcium: 450
Magnesium: 1450
pH: 7.9 during the daytime, 7.8 during nighttime
Phosphate: 0.15
Nitrate: 10 - 15

Fish: 9 (2 pairs of clownfish, 2 gobies, 1 wrasse, 1 tang, 1 blenny)
Others: 2 shrimp and some cleanup crews
Coral:
4 Zoa
2 Torch
7 Mushroom
1 Goni
2 Chalice
2 Anemones (both clownfish pairs not hosting it :downcast-face-with-sweat:)

Appreciate any insights or suggestions you might have!

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrate is fine where it's at. Especially for your type of corals.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your question is how to control.
NO3 is easiest by water changes.
PO4 is easiest by GFO or simular. Definatly use less than recommended by 1/2 or even 1/4.
But having said that, do you see any problems with live stock?
If not, I wouldn't do anything at this point and see where things shake out.

OP
OP
MonoZXM

MonoZXM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your question is how to control.
NO3 is easiest by water changes.
PO4 is easiest by GFO or simular. Definatly use less than recommended by 1/2 or even 1/4.
But having said that, do you see any problems with live stock?
If not, I wouldn't do anything at this point and see where things shake out.
I haven't noticed any issues with my livestock, and to maintain a stable phosphate level, I'm currently dosing Phosphat-E, which keeps my PO4 levels at around 0.15....otherwise, it will go up to ~0.2

OP
OP
MonoZXM

MonoZXM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I guess the best option would be GFO with less than the recommended amount? (do not want to manually dose Phosphat-E)

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've broken the golden rule. Too many changes at once. Unfortunately I'm paying the price. It all started when I traded my gem tang for a larger powder brown tang. . A week later I replaced my skimmer with a larger one. Waited a week for the brake in period. I'm still not satisfied with the way the red sea rsk 300 is skimming right now. Then I did a larger water change than I usually do. I knocked over a large torch colony and had to remove it from the tank. I cut it up and sold the frags . I kept one head for myself. I also removed a large millipora colony that same day. I unplugged my doser while all this was happening. I forgot to plug it back in. When I realized I didn't plug it back in,I plugged it in a few hours later. My doser has missed dose compensation. So it dumped twice the amount of calcium alkalinity and magnesium that it usually does in a short period of time. I woke up the next morning to an alkalinity level of 9.7ppm from 8.5ppm the night before. Now my corals are stressed. Very light in color. And my corals are not consuming nitrates and phosphates like before. I have a new fish that's producing more waste and a new skimmer that's not skimming the way my old one was. Now my nitrates are 15ppm from 7ppm and phosphate are .18 from 0.07 . I'm thinking about carbon dosing until things get better. Or is this a bad idea. I've already changed too many things lately.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back