Can we make 16/1 solution for no3 and po4

Gogo007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys ,
Normally my no3 consumption is hight and always dosing but once is right or during dosing i have to add phosphate otherwise phosphate will button out and nitrate start to rise and vice versa .. okay can we make solution contains both for the right ratio to be used ? I heard a lot about red-field-ratio can we make solution from potassium nitrate and mono-potassium-phosphate that is 16/1 ratio and how to calculate that ?

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have production and consumption in Your tank that does not fit in with the Red Field Ratio.
So as with all water vlues it is the actual water values that count. Every chemical You add to the water should just maintain a good level of that substance.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would one assume any ratio is right without first seeing what the tank needs?

Ratios are neither a good way to set target concentrations nor dosing amounts, IMO.

The simple proof to the last part of that sentence is seen by how many folks only dose N or P, but not both.

That said, one can mix appropriate nitrate and phosphate solutions into one dosing solution.

OP
OP
Gogo007

Gogo007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that i do not know the exact consumption and its very hard to track it but what i seen is that they depend in each other like p high means n low and n high means p low .. i have to add both ... Most folks are dosing them separately i am thinking to mix it .. if we are giving the tank a food that we know that the ratio is 16/1 why not we add 16/1 as liquid ... Frozen food or fresh seafood contains the same ratio and its proven that its the best to the tank

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that i do not know the exact consumption and its very hard to track it but what i seen is that they depend in each other like p high means n low and n high means p low .. i have to add both ... Most folks are dosing them separately i am thinking to mix it .. if we are giving the tank a food that we know that the ratio is 16/1 why not we add 16/1 as liquid ... Frozen food or fresh seafood contains the same ratio and its proven that its the best to the tank

That's not true. Most people who dose any do not dose both. Foods are not proven to be better than dosing, especially for folks who need only one, but possibly even for those few folks who dose both.

How do you know you need either?

OP
OP
Gogo007

Gogo007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not true. Most people who dose any do not dose both. Foods are not proven to be better than dosing, especially for folks who need only one, but possibly even for those few folks who dose both.

How do you know you need either?
Both po4 and no3 are droping down thats the reason why i see i should dose both and actually i dose both but i want to try to make both in one solution

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both po4 and no3 are droping down thats the reason why i see i should dose both and actually i dose both but i want to try to make both in one solution

Then making one solution out of whatever ratio you currently dose to maintain them is a fine plan. :)

Back