Can we talk about the beautiful wrasse?

FSU Chase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wrasses1.jpg

So I'm working on a livestock list for an 8' long 300 reef build. I know I'm going to have a group of tangs, working on that list, and I want a school of anthias. Trying to decide on fish that are beautiful and utilitarian. Wrasse seem to be that fish.

I want a pair of Peacock, a Christmas and Solorensis for sure, but has anyone tried a much larger group of wrasse? Maybe varying fairy wrasse? I see reservations about the number of fish in a tank, but I want this tank to be LOADED with colorful, active fish. I understand my bio load will be quite large and will take appropriate measures with a monster skimmer and oversized refugium, just looking for input on the wrasse itself or maybe another great schooling fish besides the anthias (not including chromis).

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow that if you are interested in mixing fairy wrasses

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Peacock wrasse you mentioned Macrpharyngodon bipartitus? Cool fish, and the one genus you can have a male and a female of (although I would do one male and 2 or more females).

Otherwise, only one specimen of each species. You could have many flashers and fairies in that large of a tank.

OP
OP
FSU Chase

FSU Chase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Peacock wrasse you mentioned Macrpharyngodon bipartitus? Cool fish, and the one genus you can have a male and a female of (although I would do one male and 2 or more females).

Otherwise, only one specimen of each species. You could have many flashers and fairies in that large of a tank.

Yes, maybe better known and the blue star leopard wrasse. More than one female would be nice, they have the better markings. Great call! And yes, only one Christmas, Solorensis and maybe another higher end specimen, then several fairies would be ideal. Thanks for you feedback.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start here:

Christmas
And be careful there - that common name can apply to a multitude of species and they are not all kind...

OP
OP
FSU Chase

FSU Chase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start here:

And be careful there - that common name can apply to a multitude of species and they are not all kind...

Good call. I have one now in my 75 sold as a Christmas. It's fantastic. I'll try and figure out exactly what it is. Maybe you can help with a picture?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call. I have one now in my 75 sold as a Christmas. It's fantastic. I'll try and figure out exactly what it is. Maybe you can help with a picture?
Take a picture and post it here:

The sticky threads are worth looking at on this forum. :)

OP
OP
FSU Chase

FSU Chase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sticky threads are worth looking at on this forum. :)
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Still figuring this out

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back