Can weather affect icp test

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you find it using standards from...say .01 to .04 measured on both...and plot the slope. ..or am I confused
I was thinking about how @taricha did his study, which he reveals below.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I noticed was that the amount of color required above zero in order to get a reading is more than the color difference error at other concentrations. It requires about 2-3 times the normal uncertainty to get a reading above zero. In other words, they built in a buffer against false positives.

If you want to probe that for your checkers, then use a constant color solution - like drops of tea or koolaid or something, don't bother with the hassle of a chemical test just to check the low range color linearity.

yes now it is coming back to me! I think I used vanilla at your suggestion to do this with one of the Hanna checkers Thanks for the reminder

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearly all analyses I know of is not linear near zero - it is often a error in measurement equipment. High quality gears have compensations to this. To expect this for a equipment that cost $50 - $60 - probably not.

HI-774 and Hi-736 is - IMO - the same meter - it is only the reading thats differ. As mine HI-774 looks like it overestimate my result with 0.08 - IMO - it is probably a fault of individual meters instead of differences between models.

Sincerely Lasse

Would be good to have someone from Hanna to chime in on this.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes now it is coming back to me! I think I used vanilla at your suggestion to do this with one of the Hanna checkers Thanks for the reminder
Nearly all analyses I know of is not linear near zero - it is often a error in measurement equipment. High quality gears have compensations to this. To expect this for a equipment that cost $50 - $60 - probably not.

Another place you can see this insensitivity near zero / protection against false positives is with mismatched cuvettes.
If you grab random mismatched hanna cuvettes from different test kits and fill them with DI water, you'll probably never get a reading regardless of which you use as the C1 and C2.
But...
When I used a colored solution in C2, and DI water as C1, I got a repeatable difference when I measured the solution in cuvette A to B, vs when I switched the solution to the other cuvette and measured B to A
Cuvette Switch.jpg

Measurement order changed result by 5 to 10 ppb. But when I fill them both with DI, I don't get a reading of 5 to 10. I get zero repeatably.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another place you can see this insensitivity near zero / protection against false positives is with mismatched cuvettes.
If you grab random mismatched hanna cuvettes from different test kits and fill them with DI water, you'll probably never get a reading regardless of which you use as the C1 and C2.
But...
When I used a colored solution in C2, and DI water as C1, I got a repeatable difference when I measured the solution in cuvette A to B, vs when I switched the solution to the other cuvette and measured B to A
Cuvette Switch.jpg

Measurement order changed result by 5 to 10 ppb. But when I fill them both with DI, I don't get a reading of 5 to 10. I get zero repeatably.

Thanks for posting this...I have seen this very same thing in my work on methods development whee the "0" point does not go through "0"

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'll probably never get a reading regardless of which you use as the C1 and C2.
I always use two different tubes and zero the first and read zero on the second directly when they are cleaned well. However - your result - IMO - only show the ±5 ppb effect when reading results over 0 - nothing else. but i can misunderstand the graph - or it above my pay level. If the graph does not hit the 0 - - can you trust the measurements?

Sincerely Lasse

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back