Can Xenia be successfully isolated on a rock?

staylor1490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in getting Xenia for my tank because I love the pulsing motion but I'm a little concerned about it taking over my tank. If I isolate it on its own island of rock over my sandbed, would it stay there? I've heard of xenia spreading over sand or little frags being broken off and sent to colonize other parts of the tank but I'm unsure if those tales are true or not.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in getting Xenia for my tank because I love the pulsing motion but I'm a little concerned about it taking over my tank. If I isolate it on its own island of rock over my sandbed, would it stay there? I've heard of xenia spreading over sand or little frags being broken off and sent to colonize other parts of the tank but I'm unsure if those tales are true or not.
I had my little stalk of Xenia isolated on its Little Rock and yesterday I noticed that there’s another little stalk on the OTHER side of the tank.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not difficult to remove if necessary.
nice swaying motion with flow.

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a little rock with some pulsing xenia on it and put it in the back of my tank so it would grow on the black background, so far it’s worked and whenever it grows where I don’t want it (which it will) i just snip it and it’s all good

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find giant xenia, it is much less invasive than the more common types. I've grown it among acroporas for years without it spreading- I just trim it back when it gets too big. Sometime called giant bali xenia

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back