Can you buy Mangroves for Saltwater Aquariums in Australia?

SamKate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a seahorse tank and am currently two weeks into cycling it. It is my first saltwater tank.
While doing some aquascaping, I thought red mangroves (*Rhizophora mangle*) would be great for seahorses, and noticed some articles purporting many reciprocal benefits of adding them do.
However - I was surprised to encounter great difficulty sourcing any here in Sydney - or even Australia in general. They seem commonly used in the USA?

It seems importing them from the USA is the only option, which seems curious for such an easy to grow plant with many tank benefits.

Not sure if the 'red mangroves' used in tanks are the same as the common pests we have on our coastal lines... and the legality of sourcing them from the wild , (and also... aesethics would be questionable).

I think they'd be a great addition to the seahorse tank I am setting up.
Love to hear any advice!

Last edited:

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe try to research the species of your coastal mangroves to see if they're the same species as ours...when i go to florida during our winter season (february) i find the seed pods floating around in the areas where the trees are growing and have brought them home and gotten them to sprout...of course not a clue as to the legality involved...

Livsreef123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a seahorse tank and am currently two weeks into cycling it. It is my first saltwater tank.
While doing some aquascaping, I thought red mangroves (*Rhizophora mangle*) would be great for seahorses, and noticed some articles purporting many reciprocal benefits of adding them do.
However - I was surprised to encounter great difficulty sourcing any here in Sydney - or even Australia in general. They seem commonly used in the USA?

It seems importing them from the USA is the only option, which seems curious for such an easy to grow plant with many tank benefits.

Not sure if the 'red mangroves' used in tanks are the same as the common pests we have on our coastal lines... and the legality of sourcing them from the wild , (and also... aesethics would be questionable).

I think they'd be a great addition to the seahorse tank I am setting up.
Love to hear any advice!
Awhile back I think I heard someone say that it was illegal to have those mangroves in Australia which sounds right because I can't find them anywhere either :(

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mangroves are protected in NSW and QLD. Southern range of the red mangrove on east coast extends to some estuaries on Nth Coast NSW. I see the propagules washed up on beaches semi regularly where I am. I’m unsure of the legality of collecting these for aquarium use, you’d best contact DPI for clarification if you’re a stickler for the rules.

Back