Besides mangroves are there any salt-tolerant house plants that can be used?

Barncat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wondering for a while whether there's other terrestrial or riparian plants available that could be used for nutrient export in our saltwater tanks besides mangroves like one can with a freshwater tank. I have a couple of rear filter sump compartments which keep looking particularly opportune as a great place to grow plants!

Anyone know of any good species for this? I know mangroves aren't that great for nutrient export anyway. I am also contemplating putting macroalgae in my display but the species variety up here in Canada leaves much to be desired!

OP
OP
Barncat

Barncat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To elaborate on the variety here: I've only seen chaeto, grape caleurpa and dragonsbreath in the nine months that I've been doing this. If I had space and funds I'd start a macroalgae farm.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mangroves and sea grasses are about the only plants that work, but there are technically a few other options:
very few plants can handle both submersion (especially deep submersion, like 12+ inches under water) and marine levels of salt:
The database below definitely isn't perfect, so I'd verify that any plant on the list you're interested in can handle both submersion and 35ppt salinity (a lot of plants can handle one or the other; relatively few can handle both), but it should be a good place to get some ideas from at least:
Currently, the only non-mangrove/seagrass plant that I've verified can handle submersion and 35 ppt conditions is Sarcocornia perennis - but it grows best at lower salinities and when kept moist rather than submerged (it was submerged at 5cm under the water in the study below, and that was the condition that correlated with the highest mortality rates in the plant).

As a note here, the depth the plant is going to be submerged at under the water is important (as a general rule of thumb, the less water that covers the roots, the better, though are definitely exceptions to this rule; verifying how much water the plant you're interested in can handle is a good idea).
You might be able to find some other plants that could work if made a little “beach” area in the tank, but those sorts of plants are generally pretty difficult to keep as I understand it (too much water/salt and they die, too little water/salt and they die - given where they grow, it’s a very delicate balance).

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sea purslane growing in coco peat and free floating in 1.024 saltwater. Both in a reef and a planted tanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240204_102732_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240204_102732_Gallery.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 128

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sea purslane growing in coco peat and free floating in 1.024 saltwater. Both in a reef and a planted tanks.
Ah, yeah, floating them in the tank would expand your options - they may still be tough to keep depending on the plant, but that'd open up more to choose from.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure about nutrient exports. They really grow too slow for that. Fun and interested is another matter. I have a large Black mangrove with main trunk of about 1.5 inches and lots of roots, in my sump. I trimmed it to about 2X2X2 feet area. I also have a small red mangrove that has 5 leaves on it.
For significant nutrient removal, you got to use one or more of the Macroalgae. This have been done lots of time before.

OP
OP
Barncat

Barncat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure about nutrient exports. They really grow too slow for that. Fun and interested is another matter. I have a large Black mangrove with main trunk of about 1.5 inches and lots of roots, in my sump. I trimmed it to about 2X2X2 feet area. I also have a small red mangrove that has 5 leaves on it.
For significant nutrient removal, you got to use one or more of the Macroalgae. This have been done lots of time before.
I think I might experiment with sea holly. So far macroalgae's been a bust; I introduced a feathery looking caleurpa and most of it bleached. I'm gonna concentrate on increasing my coral population.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plants that can and will live with roots submerged in salt water. Typical "house" plants wont. There is an lfs in my "area" that had a few, I dont remember the names of them though. They would not sell them as I believe they had them lets say not so legally (I could be wrong). The owner of this place got in trouble a couple of times for having stuff they shouldn't and knowing about it.

OP
OP
Barncat

Barncat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plants that can and will live with roots submerged in salt water. Typical "house" plants wont. There is an lfs in my "area" that had a few, I dont remember the names of them though. They would not sell them as I believe they had them lets say not so legally (I could be wrong). The owner of this place got in trouble a couple of times for having stuff they shouldn't and knowing about it.
I'm going to experiment with sea holly once I can get my hands on one. Might end up growing it myself from a seed.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1422.jpeg
IMG_1421.jpeg
IMG_1420.jpeg
IMG_1419.jpeg
All of these plants are small plants with roots submerged in salt water in Corpus Christi. I think I will start to collect them and grow them in my sump. The succulents is actually quite beautiful with color leaves.

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mangroves and seagrasses don't grow especially fast, so the "nutrient export" aspect is pretty limited. But they are very interesting plants and worth growing just for the botany and special habitats they represent. And you can pair them with interesting livestock from those environments.

If you might ever consider growing a brackish tank with moderate (5-15ppt) salinity, you can expand the list of adapable mangrove swamp plants quite a bit. This is a brackish setup I had years ago with Pandanus tectorius, Acrostichum danaeifolium, Cryptocoryne ciliata and three different mangrove trees.

3-VI-13-tank-I-m1_grande.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back