DIY Cryptic Zone Refugium and Detritus Exporter

EithelSirion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I will be moving in about 2 years and starting completely over, I've been thinking about a potential build for a complete restart. I've always been interested in cryptic zones, and growing sponges would also help if I keep any spongivores like a Moorish Idol. I have been thinking of a theoretical cryptic zone that could also function as a way to remove my need for filter socks. This would come off the main overflow drainage from the tank to remove most of the detritus before the water flowed into the next zone of a sump or macroalgae refugium. Theoretically this would be best in a narrow tall chamber that was completely absent of light. I believe something like a 200 Gal Norwesco plastic water storage tank (I would likely use black) would be a great usage for this, with dimensions of 30" Diameter and 72" Tall. I would elevate the cryptic tank by at least 12" from the ground. These storage tanks have an outlet at the bottom which I could use for drainage for water changes and more importantly for export of detritus. I will call this the detritus export valve.

The flow exiting the cryptic tank would be an overflow pipe near the top plumbed through the side, and the flow into the cryptic tank would be a pipe coming from the top of the storage tank straight down. In order to work for detritus capture, I would have the display water input pipe ending at least 1' below the water level set by the overflow exit pipe. The water would then be pushed downward from the input pipe flow and would have to flow through the media and up to the overflow pipe, allowing a good amount of detritus to settle in the bottom of the cryptic tank.

As for media growing the cryptic organisms, I plan to stack very large live rock pieces from the bottom of the tank all the way to the top, besides building a small cage to prevent the rocks from getting down into the bottom and blocking the detritus export valve. This cage would probably be 8-10" tall to give adequate space for detritus to settle and have good pressure and flow through the detritus export valve. The detritus export valve should have sufficient pressure from 6' or so of water to attach a flexible hose to the valve and be able to open it and pour water similar to a garden hose into a 5 gallon bucket etc.

I theorize a few potential benefits to this cryptic system:
-Increase in water volume and stability
-Increase in filtering capacity and biological capacity with tons of live rock and good flow through the rock/organisms
-Growth of sponges which possibly are good for SPS growth (debatable), would be good for nutrient recycling, and could be used as food for a Moorish Idol or angelfish
-Detritus capture from the water column, and export via a simple valve instead of having to change filter socks frequently and/or have a dead area of flow near the front of the tank for siphoning out

My first question is, does anyone think this idea will be an efficient enough capture of detritus to remove the need for filter socks?

Secondly, this would be a decent amount of flow, at least through the upper few feet of the cryptic tank. Would this high flow impede growth of beneficial sponges and other cryptic organisms?
My thought for this second is there will be no issues, as I have seen plenty of sponge growth on live rocks in my SPS tank even 5" from the MP40 and when there is still plenty of light spill.

Screen Shot 2023-06-22 at 7.23.42 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-06-22 at 7.23.10 PM.png

OP
OP
EithelSirion

EithelSirion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for seeding the organisms that will inhabit the cryptic zone refugium, I plan to use a good amount of live rock from Gulf Live Rock and some large pieces of Marco rock. To speed up and supercharge the sponge growth, I plan to establish this cryptic refugium at the start of setting up the tank and dose sodium silicate in an effort to have the sponge growth build up in the cryptic refugium and just deal with the diatom blooms until silicate is no longer limiting in the system.

I would dose sodium silicate according to Randy Holmes-Farley's methods in the article here:
https://reefs.com/magazine/silica-in-reef-aquariums/

I know the deco rock from Gulf Live Rock has plenty of sponges, mussels, etc for a cryptic refugium. Does anyone have any experience with the coralline base rock? Would it have similar cryptic organisms or is is relatively devoid of life?

delv2323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the room, and desire, start with a pond settling filter (sized to the gph flow through), then algae area, then the cryptic refugium. Water changes would be done via the dump valve on the vortex simply without trying to shoehorn rock into it.

Something like this:

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you relied on sponges for filtering particulates, wouldn't you just clog up and kill the sponges?

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why you've given me Keanu, it's a simple question. If sponges get clogged up, they die. It sounds like in this setup they would be getting all the particulates and not very much flow. How do you avoid burying them in mulm faster than they can eat it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back