Nutrient export with no sump

zwalter38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! New to R2R and reefing in general. First off I understand I may not be doing this the way most people are and it may not be the easiest, but I have been doing a ton of research over the past couple months. So I’m setting up a 135g hopefully mixed reef but most likely will be softies and LPS. I’m not going to use a sump for this setup and I understand the issues that this poses and the impending work I have with canister filters over a sump. However I’m trying to not spend thousands of dollars right out of the gate and using equipment I already have from freshwater tanks. So if I understand everything correctly the one major hurdle I have left to figure out it nutrient export. I really don’t want a HOB skimmer if I can avoid it, but if I can’t then that is the route I will go. I also understand another route I could go is constant water changes but I would like to limit the workload as best I can given my filtration circumstances. The only idea I’ve come up with is macro algae in the display tank because I do not have a sump. I honestly like the look of some of the types specifically the green ones. However the ones I gravitate to are caulerpa and I understand the risks associated with that as well. So all in all I’m looking for suggestions for nutrient export, open to all options really. Just looking for ideas and insight. Thanks!!

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is the hurdle.
I have seen it done on a softy/LPS tank with GFO & carbon in cannister but it's not ideal changing those out with any regularity & salt is a bit dirtier to deal with than fresh depending on placement of tank.
Large Water changes on that size tank will become surprisingly expensive.
Good salt isn't cheap.
LPS will require dosing which will be laborious if done by hand but it's doable.
A chap on YouTube did it with a fluval tank but eventually modded the cannister to run into his main sump as nutrients became an issue

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI. 3 FX6's and a HOB Skimmer and HOB refugium...120G
IMG_2599small.jpg

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters in freshwater does not fill the same operation as canister filter for salt water.
You want all your bacteria to grow in the live sand and live rock, not your filter sponges inside canisters, like you would with fresh water.

The only time you really would use one is as a prefilter, loaded with filter floss possibly before your chiller, so you can keep the exchanger coil and tank clean and free from detritus, and other growth.

But your seriously better off with HOB's then canisters, as HOB's can turn into a sort of mini refugium.

OP
OP
Z

zwalter38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WRAP led (red) around this, closed loop plumbing. Instant reactor. Hide it in your cabinet
1707864915343.png
I’ve looked into doing something on the order of this. Would this be in line with my canister filter? Or run on some sort of separate pump?

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done. Honestly in my experience it boils down to husbandry practices, especially when it comes to feeding. I had a 55gallon tank running on an OG Rena canister & did well with biweekly water changes but they were deep cleaning water changes. I had imagined the tank divided in thirds, every 2 weeks I hit the entire thirds sand bed. Once I got to the 3/3, then I hit the canister & didn’t touch the tank, rinse & repeat. A massive help was a well constructed CUC that assisted me in keeping things tidy, no better tool than what nature has already built to perfection in keeping things clean. A solid CUC will get to spots you will never be able to reach.
1707866021176.jpeg

Tomatoes were laying eggs
1707866062807.jpeg

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters in freshwater does not fill the same operation as canister filter for salt water.
You want all your bacteria to grow in the live sand and live rock, not your filter sponges inside canisters, like you would with fresh water.

The only time you really would use one is as a prefilter, loaded with filter floss possibly before your chiller, so you can keep the exchanger coil and tank clean and free from detritus, and other growth.

But your seriously better off with HOB's then canisters, as HOB's can turn into a sort of mini refugium.
I know alot of tanks that would disagree with that.......and in my case, my canisters are full of LR rubble.

OP
OP
Z

zwalter38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done. Honestly in my experience it boils down to husbandry practices, especially when it comes to feeding. I had a 55gallon tank running on an OG Rena canister & did well with biweekly water changes but they were deep cleaning water changes. I had imagined the tank divided in thirds, every 2 weeks I hit the entire thirds sand bed. Once I got to the 3/3, then I hit the canister & didn’t touch the tank, rinse & repeat. A massive help was a well constructed CUC that assisted me in keeping things tidy, no better tool than what nature has already built to perfection in keeping things clean. A solid CUC will get to spots you will never be able to reach.
1707866021176.jpeg

Tomatoes were laying eggs
1707866062807.jpeg
everything in that tank looks amazing! I'm new to saltwater but what I have come to learn, with freshwater at least, is that nothing is better than water changes. Another thing I have to decide on is the CUC. Any specific recommendations for a 135?

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve looked into doing something on the order of this. Would this be in line with my canister filter? Or run on some sort of separate pump?
you can run either way....but best in closed loop with its own pump.....the increasing algae growth will slow the water flow, if plumbed into the canister it will either create air bubbles if plumbed into intake, or increase head if plumbed into out of the canister.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! New to R2R and reefing in general. First off I understand I may not be doing this the way most people are and it may not be the easiest, but I have been doing a ton of research over the past couple months. So I’m setting up a 135g hopefully mixed reef but most likely will be softies and LPS. I’m not going to use a sump for this setup and I understand the issues that this poses and the impending work I have with canister filters over a sump. However I’m trying to not spend thousands of dollars right out of the gate and using equipment I already have from freshwater tanks. So if I understand everything correctly the one major hurdle I have left to figure out it nutrient export. I really don’t want a HOB skimmer if I can avoid it, but if I can’t then that is the route I will go. I also understand another route I could go is constant water changes but I would like to limit the workload as best I can given my filtration circumstances. The only idea I’ve come up with is macro algae in the display tank because I do not have a sump. I honestly like the look of some of the types specifically the green ones. However the ones I gravitate to are caulerpa and I understand the risks associated with that as well. So all in all I’m looking for suggestions for nutrient export, open to all options really. Just looking for ideas and insight. Thanks!!
You definitely can do this without a sump or skimmer. I have a system that has no mechanical filtration but has lots of ornamental macroalgae for export. I like the looks of the macroalgae too. My tank is mature at 7+ years old but I only do a 5 or so gallon water change once a month.
IMG_20240212_122042343.jpg
IMG_20231204_144218337.jpg

OP
OP
Z

zwalter38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely can do this without a sump or skimmer. I have a system that has no mechanical filtration but has lots of ornamental macroalgae for export. I like the looks of the macroalgae too. My tank is mature at 7+ years old but I only do a 5 or so gallon water change once a month.
IMG_20240212_122042343.jpg
IMG_20231204_144218337.jpg
Looks awesome. What types of macro algae do you use? I’m partial to the green types. More specifically types that can grow in the sand.

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything in that tank looks amazing! I'm new to saltwater but what I have come to learn, with freshwater at least, is that nothing is better than water changes. Another thing I have to decide on is the CUC. Any specific recommendations for a 135?
Yes, there’s no skipping a good maintenance routine, it’s a must & no way around it. About the CUC, a variety of hermit crabs is a must of all sizes, cortez, electric blue, red-blue leg,red tip, etc. as long as they are reef safe. Same rules applies to snails, turbo, trochus, margarita, conch, etc. emerald crabs, strawberry crabs, cleaner shrimps, fire shrimps, urchins, sea slugs, sea cucumbers, sea stars like banded, brittle, linkia, sand sifters like sand sifting stars, nassarius snails & gobies. Good working fish like wrasse, rabbbits, tangs, blennies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back