Can you determine evaporation rate from ATK log?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can even just do it by knowing how much water you out in your ATO container and how long it takes to get back to wherever it was. The longer interval you do it over the better cleaner average you'll get for projecting long-term needs.

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can even just do it by knowing how much water you out in your ATO container and how long it takes to get back to wherever it was. The longer interval you do it over the better cleaner average you'll get for projecting long-term needs.
Unfortunately, I use a 65 gallon tank to store my RO/DI water in and use it for a variety of purposes. The ATK PMUP is in that tank so, since the ATK isn't the only thing drawing from that tank it wouldn't be as accurate.

However, as I am typing this, your idea would work. All I have to do is mark the tank and not use the water for other purposes for a short period (couple of days) and that would give me the evaporation.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it could help. The other approach would be to know how fast water comes out of the pump and calculate how much it's on over the course of some known unit of time. However I think the super inaccurate because there's always sort of a dead period when it just starts pumping and so you'll get some inaccuracy based on the percent of time it runs that way if you know what I mean.

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it could help. The other approach would be to know how fast water comes out of the pump and calculate how much it's on over the course of some known unit of time. However I think the super inaccurate because there's always sort of a dead period when it just starts pumping and so you'll get some inaccuracy based on the percent of time it runs that way if you know what I mean.
Yeah, marking the tank is the easier approach. I had just always ruled it out because I draw off it for other reasons like mixing new saltwater, refilling cleaning bottles filled with RO/DI etc.

It's silly that it never occurred to me to just not use it for a short period and measure the water drop. Couldn't see the forest for the trees, lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back