Can You Have TOO Much Tank!?

BigBoi5680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning a tank build for mid to late summer this year. Originally, I was going to go with a 84x30x30 build but the wall I am placing it on is 10 ft. of flat wall space. The tank will be the focal point of the living room with nothing else in the room but a picture window, and area rug, and either a sofa or two oversized chairs for seating. The space that is taped out on the picture is actually 84x36x30 which I wanted to get an idea of because...WHY NOT go for more depth!?:D Lol.

BUT.....now that my wife is onboard with it, I've been thinking about going up to a 450.....96x36x30. My question is, is that TOO much tank for this sized space? I definitely want as MUCH tank as I can get but don't want it to look out of place at the same time. The room itself is roughly about 20x16. Any insights/suggestions are welcomed. Been looking at a Planet MegaMatrix to minimize the costs of customizing.

That last pic is just because we never really get decent snow here in Memphis lol....figured I'd share.

IMG_9687.jpg IMG_9689.jpg IMG_9686.jpg IMG_9690.jpg

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Taped off area actually looks too small and out of place for the space. If it were me, I would do a cardboard mockup of a tank and stand out of some big shipping boxes just so both you and your wife would get to see what a tank that big would actually look like in the space. A Taped line doesn't give you the full picture!

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really what you were asking but personally i would go longer but decrease the width front to back so it does not stick into room so much. Plus reaching three foot back and 30" down from front of tank is going to be painful
I agree, Why not go with a 96x30x30? It would make access to the entire tank easier while giving good scaping options and stick into the room less. Even a 96x30x24?

OP
OP
B

BigBoi5680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taped off area actually looks too small and out of place for the space. If it were me, I would do a cardboard mockup of a tank and stand out of some big shipping boxes just so both you and your wife would get to see what a tank that big would actually look like in the space. A Taped line doesn't give you the full picture!
Thats true.

OP
OP
B

BigBoi5680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really what you were asking but personally i would go longer but decrease the width front to back so it does not stick into room so much. Plus reaching three foot back and 30" down from front of tank is going to be painful
Was asking if I should go 96" vs. the 84" since nothing else was going to be on that wall. 30" would definitely make more sense, was just tryna see how much was too much though.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cut into that wall... you can get another foot of width and have it viewable from the other side too!

What is on the the other side of that wall? In the pictures it appears to be a hallway?

I had the same idea as FishTruck. I agree with the others above that a tank that size will be very difficult to reach across to clean. Another option would be to bring it away from the wall just enough to squeeze behind it so you can get to those back areas.

Also agree that a full size mock up will give you a much better idea of what the final tank will look like in the room and its a lot easier to move around than the actual tank.

Look forward to the build...

Cheers,
Steve

OP
OP
B

BigBoi5680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cut into that wall... you can get another foot of width and have it viewable from the other side too!
Would be nice....however the kitchen is on the other side of that wall, the sink in particular lol. I WILL be running an ro/di through the wall directly though plumbed off the sink for top off

OP
OP
B

BigBoi5680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is on the the other side of that wall? In the pictures it appears to be a hallway?

I had the same idea as FishTruck. I agree with the others above that a tank that size will be very difficult to reach across to clean. Another option would be to bring it away from the wall just enough to squeeze behind it so you can get to those back areas.

Also agree that a full size mock up will give you a much better idea of what the final tank will look like in the room and its a lot easier to move around than the actual tank.

Look forward to the build...

Cheers,
Steve
Kitchen.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely go with 36” front to back dimension over 30”. I have a 96x36x30d. The 36” depth is great for big fish. Now I wish I went 48”!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So punching through the wall and splitting it between the 2 rooms is out...

Here's a thought though, maybe cut a hole where the tank itself sits so you can at least view the tank from that side? If the sink is directly behind, it would give you something better to look at than a blank wall while you are washing dishes, ect ect

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back