Can you help a tank along to prepare it for increased bioload?

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@Jay Hemdal not sure if you recall my tank or not, I have the tank that a Undulated Trigger hitch hiked in on some rock. Fast forward and what was once a very small docile cute fish is now something that could be use in Megoladon 7. I am now down to 2 other fish besides the trigger in a 130 multi year established reef where without utilitarian fish I am as you can imagine having issues. I can’t even really keep any inverts in the tank anymore, I’m well over 150 things that live within the two graveyard of shells that he/she has created. It also now will try and bite me if I go near any of its caves…

So I am taking every rock out of this tank tonight and tomorrow and by any means necessary, I will have it out in the next 24 hours.

When I put this newly created train wreck back together, I am going to want to figure out some type of system to start loading fish into this tank. I am going to set up multiple QTs, perhaps 3. Now obviously I have a light bioload. As I reach the halfway point with multiple QT tanks at the same time, can I start dosing pure ammonia to build up for the new fish? I am now also concerned that I have 1 clown and a purple tang, which, the clown is larger (the trigger ate both the clowns mates eyes and lower jaw), and the Tang has gotten incredibly aggressive towards the clown, which makes me think my hands are going to be full.

I know nothing good happens fast in reefing. But I am trying to balance a near none existent workforce in my tank, kinda like this side of the pandemic.

Thank you I’m advance, Chris.

Yes, I even tried to fish it out…

IMG_2326.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@Jay Hemdal not sure if you recall my tank or not, I have the tank that a Undulated Trigger hitch hiked in on some rock. Fast forward and what was once a very small docile cute fish is now something that could be use in Megoladon 7. I am now down to 2 other fish besides the trigger in a 130 multi year established reef where without utilitarian fish I am as you can imagine having issues. I can’t even really keep any inverts in the tank anymore, I’m well over 150 things that live within the two graveyard of shells that he/she has created. It also now will try and bite me if I go near any of its caves…

So I am taking every rock out of this tank tonight and tomorrow and by any means necessary, I will have it out in the next 24 hours.

When I put this newly created train wreck back together, I am going to want to figure out some type of system to start loading fish into this tank. I am going to set up multiple QTs, perhaps 3. Now obviously I have a light bioload. As I reach the halfway point with multiple QT tanks at the same time, can I start dosing pure ammonia to build up for the new fish? I am now also concerned that I have 1 clown and a purple tang, which, the clown is larger (the trigger ate both the clowns mates eyes and lower jaw), and the Tang has gotten incredibly aggressive towards the clown, which makes me think my hands are going to be full.

I know nothing good happens fast in reefing. But I am trying to balance a near none existent workforce in my tank, kinda like this side of the pandemic.

IMG_2326.png
If there is fish in the tank, you wont want to dose ammonia chloride. If no fish, then dose ammonia chloride and when ammonia rises then falls and achieves a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and when nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- you are cycled. Thereafter, you can add liquid bacteria such as MicroBacter XLM at 1.5ml per 10 gallons for 2-3 weeks to build up denitrifiers. You will then want to stock very slowly to allow denitrifying bacteria to keep up with new bioload as tank matures

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If there is fish in the tank, you wont want to dose ammonia chloride. If no fish, then dose ammonia chloride and when ammonia rises then falls and achieves a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and when nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- you are cycled. Thereafter, you can add liquid bacteria such as MicroBacter XLM at 1.5ml per 10 gallons for 2-3 weeks to build up denitrifiers. You will then want to stock very slowly to allow denitrifying bacteria to keep up with new bioload as tank matures
That’s what I was thought on the ammonia, but was curious. Once kujo is out, I’ll have a clown and a purple tang in there.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the ammonia to build up a biological filter robust enough to handle a large initial stocking. Cycle the tank in the usual manner, then raise the ammonia dose and allow it to zero out within a 24 hr period. You'll have to research at what level of ammonia will be appropriate for your application. 2ppm ammonia is a classic starting point, I've done 4ppm when I was taking in several medium sized fish at once. Go light on the feeding initially and monitor after introduction and be prepared to manage ammonia spike if necessary. I like doing water changes as a reaction and using bacteria, my favorite in biospira. Tank size, species type and size, are some variables to consider.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2326.png
If you simply add a couple of fish a week you'll be fine.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You still have this trigger??? What are you doing with it lol
It’s coming out tomorrow… I’ve decided to rip the tank apart and take 100% of everything out to have a clean shot with my spear gun. Seriously though. Pulling all the rock and coral tomorrow to get him. Wife had surgery today (doing fine) but she will be drugged all day, so it’s the perfect time to do this.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s coming out tomorrow… I’ve decided to rip the tank apart and take 100% of everything out to have a clean shot with my spear gun. Seriously though. Pulling all the rock and coral tomorrow to get him. Wife had surgery today (doing fine) but she will be drugged all day, so it’s the perfect time to do this.
Oh my god I forgot she loved him!! Beautiful trigger but devil fish apparently

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Here I was this AM driving back from the surgeons office feeling guilty about pulling the fish she likes out when she is not able to defend her case, lol. I am thinking, perhaps I divide the tank, I don’t know. Then I go and look and the ph*ker is beating up on the urchin. He has basically removed all the purple spines, last night the urchin had half the tank on his shell. Time to mix water and get it to temp.

I’m those pics where you can see him. None of that material, or that frag, were there last night. I have no clue how he moves rocks that are so big.

Attachments

• IMG_2393.jpeg
    IMG_2393.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2395.jpeg
    IMG_2395.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2396.jpeg
    IMG_2396.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2392.jpeg
    IMG_2392.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2394.jpeg
    IMG_2394.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here I was this AM driving back from the surgeons office feeling guilty about pulling the fish she likes out when she is not able to defend her case, lol. I am thinking, perhaps I divide the tank, I don’t know. Then I go and look and the ph*ker is beating up on the urchin. He has basically removed all the purple spines, last night the urchin had half the tank on his shell. Time to mix water and get it to temp.

I’m those pics where you can see him. None of that material, or that frag, were there last night. I have no clue how he moves rocks that are so big.

IMG_2396.jpeg IMG_2395.jpeg IMG_2394.jpeg IMG_2393.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I missed my tag in your first post. Looks like lots of folks already responded. Is there any open question you need me to weigh in on?

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back