Can You Help Me Switch from Two-part to Kalkwasser?

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 100.3 that is set up as an SPS-only system. It has 16 small (0.5”-1.5”) frags that I want to grow into large colonies, so the system will not be packed with more frags.

I currently dose 13.5mL of ESV B-Ionic alkalinity per day. I do not dose calcium or magnesium because water-changes, using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, maintain those elements.

Since I dose such a small amount of alkalinity, and nothing else, I think that it makes sense to switch from two-part to kalkwasser. Also, I have nearly three quarters of a five-gallon bucket of BRS calcium hydroxide powder that I received from a friend that switched to a calcium reactor. The remaining calcium hydroxide powder will likely last me a long time.

With that said, I need help configuring a proper system.

I want to dose kalkwasser via my doser rather than utilizing my automatic top-off system; evaporation in Ohio varies throughout the year. So, I would likely choose to install a kalkwasser stirrer. However, does that require a second reservoir for the doser/stirrer to pull from? I ask because the freshwater reservoir that is built into my sump holds about three gallons of water; I refill it every other day regardless of how much has been used (typically half or more).

I think that dosing kalkwasser will also help maintain a relatively high pH, negating my current usage of a carbon dioxide scrubber, which would result in saving me about $40 each month.

Can you help me make an informed decision to switch from dosing two-part to dosing kalkwasser with a doser and, possibly, a stirrer?

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also drawing water from my ato reservoir to feed my stirrer. Ato still runs just not as often. It’s like topping off with freshwater but has kalk in it. Your routine of filling it won’t change at all since it’ll be replacing (at max amount )your top off amount.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also drawing water from my ato reservoir to feed my stirrer. Ato still runs just not as often. It’s like topping off with freshwater but has kalk in it. Your routine of filling it won’t change at all since it’ll be replacing (at max amount )your top off amount.
How do you have your stirrer connected to your reservoir? Is it simply a tube that is connected to the inlet of the stirrer and held in place within the reservoir?

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the silicone tube from the reservoir to my doser than from the doser to the reactor that dumps in the tank.

Ecvernon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Since you know that you use 13.5 ml of alkalinity daily, you can calculate how much DKH is raised by that dose in your size aquarium.

Using the calculator you could change the dosed product to kalkwasser to figure out how much ml of KALK to dose daily.

I dose my KALK via a Litermeter 3 and kalkwasser Stirrer because of the inconsistencies of ATO dosing.

Ecvernon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 ten gallon resevoir that supplies the tubing of my Litermeter3 and Tunze ATO.

the Litermeter 3 doses 5 liters of kalkwasser via An avast kalkstirrer in 24 hours. My ato kicks on less due to the constant addition of the litermeter 3.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the silicone tube from the reservoir to my doser than from the doser to the reactor that dumps in the tank.
Oh, okay. I wasn’t envisioning the doser pulling water from the reservoir and pushing it through the stirrer and then into the tank. I was thinking about having the doser pull from the stirrer, which then would pull from the reservoir. I suppose that either configuration would suffice.

Thank you!

Since you know that you use 13.5 ml of alkalinity daily, you can calculate how much DKH is raised by that dose in your size aquarium.

Using the calculator you could change the dosed product to kalkwasser to figure out how much ml of KALK to dose daily.

I dose my KALK via a Litermeter 3 and kalkwasser Stirrer because of the inconsistencies of ATO dosing.
I have 1 ten gallon resevoir that supplies the tubing of my Litermeter3 and Tunze ATO.

the Litermeter 3 doses 5 liters of kalkwasser via An avast kalkstirrer in 24 hours. My ato kicks on less due to the constant addition of the litermeter 3.
Thank you for the link to the calculator!

How do you like your stirrer? I was looking at the reviews for both the Avast model and the Reef Octopus model, but I am unsure of which to purchase.

Ecvernon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Avast stirrer is great. I've used sealed ones in the past which had thumbscrews and you had to open the lids to refill and clean it out.

The avast model is not sealed so all I have to do is lift up the cover and dump in some Kalk. Much simpler than previous designs of reactor that I've used.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont did it....

Unless you have a good amount of Alk (carbonate) consumption.... you'll slowly put your tank in the 13-16dKH range using Kalkwasser.

Dissolved Kalk is like 40-60dKH .... so unless your corals consume a lot of carbonate, you'll end up in dangerous dKH

Speaking from an unfortunate experience where I killed quite a bit SPS by my tank is a low carbonate consumption tank

Ecvernon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont did it....

Unless you have a good amount of Alk (carbonate) consumption.... you'll slowly put your tank in the 13-16dKH range using Kalkwasser.

Dissolved Kalk is like 40-60dKH .... so unless your corals consume a lot of carbonate, you'll end up in dangerous dKH

Speaking from an unfortunate experience where I killed quite a bit SPS

How did you implement it? Did you use your ATO? Or did you dose a set amount each day match to your alkalinity consumption?

It can be done, just have to be smart about.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont did it....

Speaking from an unfortunate experience where I killed quite a bit SPS by my tank is a low carbonate consumption tank

Using a doser , he’ll have to calculate his doses to the consumption just like 2 part. I’ll never recommend anyone using kalk in a ato for that very reason

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont did it....

I’m sorry that happened. :(

Were you using fully-saturated kalkwasser? I ask because I recall watching a BRS video that discusses different levels of potency based on how much calcium hydroxide is added to the water.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely want the doser before the stirrer. It’ll save you unnecessary work and aggravation. You’ll need to replace the doser tube way sooner because the kalk will eat at it and flush the line out so calcium doesn’t build up in it. Pushing to the reactor is just plain rodi water.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you implement it? Did you use your ATO? Or did you dose a set amount each day match to your alkalinity consumption?

It can be done, just have to be smart about.

Sorry. Let me be clearer....

Dont don't it...unless you have tracked your Alk over the course of a month or so.

Kalkwasser can jump dKH in a hurry. Problem is Kalk is calcium and carbonate in one mix.

The advantage of 2Part is you can tailor make your calcium consumption separately from your carbonate consumption.

Kalk is cheap....but wicked if you dont know your consumption rates.

Hth

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely want the doser before the stirrer. It’ll save you unnecessary work and aggravation. You’ll need to replace the doser tube way sooner because the kalk will eat at it and flush the line out so calcium doesn’t build up in it. Pushing to the reactor is just plain rodi water.
Oh, that makes sense. I didn’t think about the kalkwasser impacting the tubes in that manner.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Avast stirrer is great. I've used sealed ones in the past which had thumbscrews and you had to open the lids to refill and clean it out.

The avast model is not sealed so all I have to do is lift up the cover and dump in some Kalk. Much simpler than previous designs of reactor that I've used.
I use avast stirrer fed with liter meter 3 as well. Great system.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just so that I can be confident with the result, the first image is of the calculation with what I am currently using, which is ESV B-Ionic. The second image is of the calculation after selecting saturated limewater as the product.

The result that I got was 0.25 gallons of saturated limewater each day, which equates to my current dosage of 13.5mL to match a consumption rate of 0.3 dKH daily.

Image of dosing calculator result

Did I perform the calculation steps correctly?

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks right but how much do you evaporate a Day is the next question?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so that I can be confident with the result, the first image is of the calculation with what I am currently using, which is ESV B-Ionic. The second image is of the calculation after selecting saturated limewater as the product.

The result that I got was 0.25 gallons of saturated limewater each day, which equates to my current dosage of 13.5mL to match a consumption rate of 0.3 dKH daily.

Did I perform the calculation steps correctly?
I’ve never used that program, but your value seems a little low, but in the ballpark to me. I would start there and be sure to test alkalinity daily for a while.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%

Back