Can you ID this floating debris?

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 8 weeks into setting this tank up and everything has been going well, however I just recently noticed a ton of small debris all in the water column. I've checked the return pump and determined that's not the case. I can turn. Off all pumps and the debris stays suspended, not like bubbles.

I have a 200 micron felt sock on my overflow drain, multiple baffles in my sump with no bubbles.

Hopefully you can make out something...

20190727_123431.jpg

Attachments

• 20190727_123413.mp4
    15.5 MB

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm about 8 weeks into setting this tank up and everything has been going well, however I just recently noticed a ton of small debris all in the water column. I've checked the return pump and determined that's not the case. I can turn. Off all pumps and the debris stays suspended, not like bubbles.

I have a 200 micron felt sock on my overflow drain, multiple baffles in my sump with no bubbles.

Hopefully you can make out something...

I can't tell from the picture, but often cloudiness comes from a bacterial bloom, fine sand that has been stirred up, or micro bubbles (it sounds like you have eliminated the micro bubbles option).

OP
OP
Phyber

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I attached a video to the OP to try and see as well.

It's definitely not a "general haze" in the tank...it's specific particles everywhere. I'm using Fiji pink aragonite and I've already gotten the dust out of that for the most part and my mp40 has made it's presence known.

I noticed I have small copepods in the tank now, could it be them and/or eggs suspend d in water.

Or, is this calcium precipitation?

RouJr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not calcium precipitation cause they are little lines and thats not the crystal structure of calcium.

im going to gues microfauna mixed with substrate dust

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A finer sock and adding Chemipure in a high flow area of the sump should help clarify the water, but it won't necessarily solve the underlying issue.

OP
OP
Phyber

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-4. I've been running carbon in a mesh bag by the return pump, haven't used any gfo yet since it's still a newer tank.

My felt socks are 200 micron and fill up super fast; if I can find some finer ones I'll give them a try but I'm really looking forward to mesh socks so they don't fill up as fast and cause my skimmer to go nuts after a change.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
10-4. I've been running carbon in a mesh bag by the return pump, haven't used any gfo yet since it's still a newer tank.

My felt socks are 200 micron and fill up super fast; if I can find some finer ones I'll give them a try but I'm really looking forward to mesh socks so they don't fill up as fast and cause my skimmer to go nuts after a change.

From my experience Chemipure will clarify your water even faster than actived carbon. I agree that a mesh bags (high micron) will be preferable as a normal practice, but for clarifying the water the finer mesh will clarify/polish the water faster. Another long term option would be to use a filter media cup instead of filter socks.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you rinse the sand until there were no fines left?
Im going with dust. Keep changing the socks or put some polishing floss in them and change it every hour. If you have an old canister filter they can help polish the water if you put floss in them. Keep blowing off the rocks.
Since in my ipinion its not organic (haze) carbon and other chemical things will not help.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you rinse the sand until there were no fines left?
Im going with dust. Keep changing the socks or put some polishing floss in them and change it every hour. If you have an old canister filter they can help polish the water if you put floss in them. Keep blowing off the rocks.
Since in my ipinion its not organic (haze) carbon and other chemical things will not help.

+1

Canister filter will filter floss is also a good option to clarify/polish the water.

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if you got this resolved as I have something similar going on. I used the bagged arag alive sand and did not rinse it like I probably should have. I have lots of these floating particles now and it settles on my rock work and sand bed eventually, which then gets blown around by fish and my gyres.

I ordered some polyfill to put in the filter socks but I'm wondering how much good that will do since I don't see this stuff ever fully making it into the sump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back